Ghost

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Ghost

Post by Jeff-20 »

Well, it's Halloween here in the States. Costumes and creepy stuff are abound. In the mood of the occasion, I made a game. Here's a "Survival Horror" game and sequel to Zombie Yard. I hope you find it scary. :wink:

Ghost

Unexpanded VIC 20, all BASIC, Joystick required.

A few notes: This game really seems to require instructions. Be sure to read and understand them before you play; otherwise, you'll be really confused. Also, the game, I am told, is really difficult. It really requires precise joystick control.

As with all of my games, it's pure BASIC, so you can edit it to your liking. I left out a few features (like lightning and thunder); I guess that means I am waiting for approval before I feel comfortable calling this one done. I've noticed that the sound for the ghost is missing in emulator (why?) No matter, I always prefer if you play on real hardware. If anyone can win the game, I will send you a prize of some sort.
GHOST Instructions
by Jeffrey Daniels

The Story:
Legend has it that ghouls haunt the graveyards surrounding your village. Every midnight, a horde of zombies will rise from the ground to hunt the living. You must stop them or die trying. The object of the game is to destroy five zombies each night..

Game Play:
The zombies are relentless in their desire to feed on human flesh. They have only two methods of attack. With slow lumbering, they will work together to corner you. Use the joystick to maneuver around the undead. Avoid touching them while they hunt; a zombie's infectious bite will bring instant death.

A zombie also has the ability to summon evil spirits to attack your life force, hopefully draining you to the point of death. Your life force meter is a red bar to the left of the play field. If it reaches zero, you will die.

When draining your life force, a zombie turns red and enters a trance like state. This is the only time a zombie is vulnerable. Attack a defenseless zombie by simply rushing to its position. One can imagine bludgeoning a corpse takes time. The player is momentarily vulnerable to the attack of other zombies. It takes nerve (and a few seconds) to complete the task. Occasionally, you may need to escape before the process is complete.

To survive the night, you must defeat five zombies, returning them to their graves. Success will replenish a small amount of your life force, and advance you to a new ghoul-infested graveyard the following night.

Ravenous zombies are not the only horror you must face. Ghost apparitions will appear randomly throughout the night to startle and distract you. While a ghost cannot directly attack you, avoid running into the deadly image. Occasionally, a golden key will appear. Collect five for a bonus life and level advancement.
The zip file download contains the instructions and a PRG file.
DOWNLOAD
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i better get out my C64 so i can transfer the .prg to my vic :)

this game sounds a bit easier than Zombie Yard, but time will tell.

can't wait to try it!
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Great couple of themed games with great graphics Jeff :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

vic user wrote:i better get out my C64 so i can transfer the .prg to my vic :)
Would a different format (D64?) be better?
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

no, it is just my archaic way of transferring files to my vic.

i actually hate .d64's

i will download the file to a pc, then direct connect its modem to the C64's modem and then download to a floppy and off to my vic
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Wow Chris! You really are in great need of an XM1541 and/or C2N232 or just about any other interface for file transfers.

I will download a whole bunch of VIC-20 games + demos tonight, and certainly will include Jeff's latest to be demoed tomorrow in Stockholm.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

yeah, it's a pretty clunky way of transferring... and slow :)

i was actually thinking of paying my daughter to transfer all my vic and C64 files to a pc, for backup purposes, but haven't firgured out how much to pay her.... a LOT of C64 disks!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Buy an X-series cable, and she will have a breeze (more or less) with backing up all your floppy disks. Assuming that you have a working parallel port in your PC and perhaps a spare 1541 if you don't want to fiddle with cables back and forth, it should be the least of modern hardware you need to own. Even Jeff got his setup to work after switching to cbm4win...
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

That's a nice mosaic effect at the beginning...

I must admit, it's the first new game in a while I've looked at and thought.. this is great, and I have absolutely *no* idea what is going on ....!!

Cue for me to RTFM, as they say.....
3^4 is 81.0000001
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

vic user wrote:yeah, it's a pretty clunky way of transferring... and slow :)

i was actually thinking of paying my daughter to transfer all my vic and C64 files to a pc, for backup purposes, but haven't firgured out how much to pay her.... a LOT of C64 disks!
Like Father like Daughter :D

Someone must of gotten busy making babies at an early age (unlike this old fart) :wink:
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Nice title screen!
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Like Father like Daughter Very Happy

Someone must of gotten busy making babies at an early age (unlike this old fart) Wink

well Zoe was unplanned but certainly happy she came into my life.

i am sure she was a result of those "come on, just one more second without the condom" and then some eager swimmer got to the finish line before the starting gun went off :)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I just got around to playing Ghost today, and I have to say, it is most excellent. Beats a lot of the commercial stuff that was available for the Vic back then! Now, if only you had a time machine; you could go back to 1981 and make your fortune... :wink:

Hey, that gives me an idea. Golan; did you get that flux capacitor mod installed in your DeLorean yet?
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Now, if only you had a time machine; you could go back to 1981 and make your fortune...
that is exactly how i felt when i played zombie yard!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

So, is it better than Zombie Yard? I'm not sure. I intended it to be some sort of sequel, but it's more like an update.