more work on the Telengard port...
I have something playable now. Still needs lots of messing about with the code is needed however. The main issue is of course the limited screen real-estate - half the width required by the original source code - and I am trying to cram as much information as possible into it. Memory is still tight, but with messages needing to be shrunk into limited space I can still fit it in 24K, but only just. I managed to save enough memory to slip the inn picture back in, and character saving to tape and disk is now supported.
I eventually decided on flipping the screen between the map and your stats. Map is needed for movement, and stats are brought up when in a fight (when you need to look at them the most)... or during spell casting ... and then I am trying to not let the computer get confused as to which screen state it is in, as the original code expects both map and stats to be on the screen at the same time and if I don't clear things up for the program, they will draw all over each other.
It is coming along nicely, but needs more testing. Especially all of the spells... I am dreading having to do that, as I need to test them both in combat and outside of combat. The game makes the distinction, and so do I because of the screen only able to support map or stats at one time.
Some of the player statuses (protection from evil, strength, light) have been shoved vertically to the side of the map, and that seems to work.
Also some of the encounters need more testing, such as the gray misty cube, throne, and button box amongst other things.