Games we want to see

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Games we want to see

Post by Kweepa »

Also, it's 28k of BASIC (at least the version I downloaded), which could be a problem for a VIC :)
Still, as far as game mechanics it doesn't look very complicated, so I think a conversion would be possible.
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

Flappy Bird?

Atari 2600 has Flappo Bird
http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index. ... ;topicseen
IsaacKuo
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by IsaacKuo »

I finally played that Flappy Bird game, and...yes, it'd make a good Vic20 game.
Dusty
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Dusty »

Is there a Mah Jongg game for the VIC-20 (the search here returned 0 results)? If not, it could be a challenge for me! 8)
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Can't find one...
I think it'd be pretty challenging to write!
Looks like fun to design the tiles.
Dusty
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Dusty »

The challenge is to print the tiles to the screen (and probably to store them in memory)... the rest of the game seems pretty simple at first look. We should discuss this elsewhere, I'll start a new thread at the programmer's board tonight!
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

There's many non scrolling great platform games released for Atari 800, C64 and ZX Spectrum that would be great to see on Vic-20 too?

Miner 2049'er
Jumpman
Manic Miner

And many more

Sometimes you can mix several genres and turn it into an orginal game. Like this one made in Polen for Atari 8bit. It's a mix between platform and puzzle game. Quite orginal game idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SAEohe0_fk

It should be possible to create more orginal games like that?
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Vic 2000 wrote:Miner 2049'er
Already exists for 30 years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tguq4R1rJoc
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Thank you, i haven't tested all the games from my downloaded TOSEC and Gamebase Vic-20 yet. Great too see that Miner 2049'er was in there. :) Because it's one of my all time favourite games.

Miner 2049er on all these computers and consoles in "Let's compare"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R_Q_rXW7Jk

1. Atari 2600 0:24
2. Apple 2 1:23
3. Fujitsu FM-7 2:13
4. NEC PC88 3:13
5. DOS 4:15
6. Commodore Vic 20 5:14
7. Commodore 64 6:13
8. Atari 5200 7:14
9. Atari 400/800 XE/XL 8:13
10. Colecovision 9:16
11. Spectravision 10:06
12. Gameboy 10:57
13. Windows ( Miner 2049er again ) 11:59

Perhaps Williams classic game Joust could be something if it's not already there on Vic-20. It's kind of antique Flappy Bird, but at least 100 times better and way more fun.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Two games I've been considering porting:
Chuckie Egg
Manic Miner (a proper version with all 20 levels, 30 columns, and some light screen shifting left/right)
IsaacKuo
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by IsaacKuo »

Vic 2000 wrote:Perhaps Williams classic game Joust could be something if it's not already there on Vic-20. It's kind of antique Flappy Bird, but at least 100 times better and way more fun.
I have recently pondered flappy-fying Joust. The physics of Flappy flight are different from Joust because there is no sense of vertical inertia. When you tap the flap button, you immediately reset to a particular upward vertical velocity regardless of your previous vertical velocity. This contrasts with Joust physics, where a flap adds a certain vertical velocity (up to a maximum).

With classic Joust physics, there is often a need to rapidly tap the flap button multiple times--in order to overcome downward momentum, or rise rapidly.

With Flappy physics, there isn't really a need to double-tap...I think it would be interesting to make a double-tap reverse direction. Basically, if you already have almost the maximum vertical velocity, you reverse left/right motion in addition to reseting your vertical velocity to max. Thus, a single flap button is sufficient for navigation in both directions.

The other thing to Flappy-fy Joust, I think, would be to make the obstacles deadly. Well, not completely deadly--it's what makes the eggs pop out. Maybe by default most floors are not deadly, but at higher levels all surfaces are deadly. With these deadly obstacles, you no longer need jousting lances. Instead, the entire mechanism of killing enemies is to collide into them in ways that they run into walls. (This makes the game more like Spy Hunter than Joust, I suppose.)
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Sounds interesting. :)

As said earlier in this forum (when i searched).

Popeye, Missile Command, Burgertime and a descent version of Q-Bert instead of that disapointment that Parker Brothers once released on Vic-20.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

I know a certain somebody who recently did Pooyan that could probably do a bang-up job with Q*Bert. :wink:
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Ha ha. Thanks Robert. I'm looking forward to your next release:) I never did like qbert that much. If someone was to use the SSS for the job though it would definitely need a new version with multicolor masking and possibly caching of pre shifted sprites ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Another approach might be to use raster effects to draw the cubes. Not sure if that would be feasible?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk