Games we want to see

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

What format are they in? I don't have a Ipod but it would be nice to download some of the videos and burn them to a disc.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Mpeg-4. Now you can take clips of me playing Berzerk wherever you go! :D
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

That's cool. My DVD player is supposed to play MPEG 4 movies.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:Now I am going to spend all evening downloading videos!
You should go to the Apple Store and load your video on all their iPods and iPhones. You'll be (in)famous!
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

[OT]
gklinger wrote:You should go to the Apple Store and load your video on all their iPods and iPhones. You'll be (in)famous!
Someone here use an iPhone ? any impressions ?
I wish to buy it but in Italy is not possible yet, it seems that the AT&T US version can be hacked to work with any telephonic company so in Italy too but for the GSM network only obviously since the iPhone do not support the UMTS network yet...
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

[OT]
There is an Apple store a few blocks from my house. I have played with the iPhone. I hated it. It looks impressive, but you must play with it carefully before you buy.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

d0c wrote:i want berzerk
what are berzerk similar games available for VIC-20 ? I'm sure there is at least one. I'm just trying to make an idea of what will be my next VIC-20 video game port project.
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

My list of games that I would like to see ported to the VIC-20

* Civilisation
* Raptor Call of the shadows
* Dune II
* Space Harrier (I have already tried a concept version of this and it worked in BASIC)
* A version of Elite without the 3D graphics
* A game similar to the Sentinel (Probably need to ditch 3D?)

and of course the ultra impossible game to port
DOOM

Another Idea I have floating around my head is a maths based RPG. I don't know if is possible to make such a game for the VIC-20 though :?
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

talking of berzerk...

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Chicken, fight like a robot! :twisted:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

nippur72 wrote:what are berzerk similar games available for VIC-20 ?
AMOK, Super AMOK, Shamus, Robotron 2084.. probably more but those were the first ones I could think of. Not all are 100% Berzerk clones but based on the same concept.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

carlsson wrote:AMOK, Super AMOK, Shamus, Robotron 2084..
oh, thank you. I see that all are very well written (except perhaps robotron), so I am going to discard a berzerk port as my next project.

Talking of robotron, I wonder how they achieved the fade-in/explosion effect... is it a sort of raster trick? or what else? I can't figure out.
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

nippur72 wrote:Talking of robotron, I wonder how they achieved the fade-in/explosion effect... is it a sort of raster trick? or what else? I can't figure out.
No idea I haven't seen the game myself. However when I was at Uni and had to study Computer Engineering one task we were given was to dim a LED display. Now a LED is either on or off right? The programmatic solution to this is to turn the LED on and off such that it is on for only 60% of the time and off for the other 40% of the time. If you do this fast enough the human eye cannot see the turning on and off but the LED appears dimmer. Perhaps you could use some sort of trick like that. Only really works with a black background though. If you have a white background then it appears lighter when the characters are not displayed, not darker.

On another note I once wrote a program for my Atari ST which only had a B&W Monitor. I wanted to make some text appear as a bright flash and then dim out, on a black screen. So I drew on the screen a white line across the screen where the text should appear. Then I removed that line and drew the text. This had the intended effect of making it look like the text appeared brighter than normal, but only for a fraction of a second. Then the text appears to fade a bit.

I should mention that the line I drew was not 1 pixel thick. It was thicker than the text and far wider. The idea was that the human eye sees both the line and the text at almost the same line.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

nippur72 wrote:
carlsson wrote:AMOK, Super AMOK, Shamus, Robotron 2084..
oh, thank you. I see that all are very well written (except perhaps robotron), so I am going to discard a berzerk port as my next project.

Talking of robotron, I wonder how they achieved the fade-in/explosion effect... is it a sort of raster trick? or what else? I can't figure out.

:shock: noooo.... please dont give up on berzerk... there is clones and lookalikes out there, but they dont beat the original game. please please make berzerk for the vic20, a special version with the sounds effect and speech would be awsome!... frogger was released last year, everyone loved it. so why not berzerk this year...
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I totally agree with d0c: please, a "philologically correct" version of Bezerk would be just wonderful! :D