Games we want to see

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Le mans, yes. Gyruss, no. Well, not the way it appears on the 64 or other ports. Probably something like the Atari ports of Robotron or other similar games from that period. Close in theme but entirely different.

I think Le mans for the 64 is under 8k... :?:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Yes Le Mans for the C64 is an 8K game but since it use sprites and maybe other C64 specific things, i'm not sure if 8K are enough for a vic version too.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

nbla000 wrote:Yes Le Mans for the C64 is an 8K game but since it use sprites and maybe other C64 specific things, i'm not sure if 8K are enough for a vic version too.
Interesting; I was going to say it uses smooth-scrolling, but I decided to check first and it doesn't! I've been playing this game for over 20 years (it's one of my favourites) and never really clued in :) I suppose it's because you rarely drive at slow speeds in the game so it's not all that noticeable when the scroling jumps a whole character at a time.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I love the game too. But it is very blocky and very jumpy. I think it could be done on a smaller scale on the VIC.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Jeff-20 wrote:I think it could be done on a smaller scale on the VIC.
Sounds like a good ML project for somebody :)

What do you think it is that makes Le Mans so fun compared to most other top-down, scrolling-in-one-direction racing games?
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

MacbthPSW wrote:What do you think it is that makes Le Mans so fun compared to most other top-down, scrolling-in-one-direction racing games?
Maybe because is an arcade conversion of an old game, Monaco GP (C) 1979 by Sega or maybe of the 1980's sequel Pro Monaco GP.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

nbla000 wrote:
MacbthPSW wrote:What do you think it is that makes Le Mans so fun compared to most other top-down, scrolling-in-one-direction racing games?
Maybe because is an arcade conversion of an old game, Monaco GP (C) 1979 by Sega or maybe of the 1980's sequel Pro Monaco GP.
Well, what makes those particular old arcade games so fun then? :) Is it the "pass 10 cars for a bonus" gimmick?
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

DigitalQuirk wrote:Apparently, Sim City for the Commodore 64 wasn't very good at all as it lacked many of the aspects that made it great on the PC and Amiga, according to the reviews I've read. My guess is that it wouldn't translate well on the Vic.
According to this post by the programmer of the Unix version of Sim City, the C-64 version was the original.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

MacbthPSW wrote:
Jeff-20 wrote:I think it could be done on a smaller scale on the VIC.
Sounds like a good ML project for somebody :)

What do you think it is that makes Le Mans so fun compared to most other top-down, scrolling-in-one-direction racing games?
Man, I love the look of those old pre-1980s games (cabinets & gameplay). I wish I could go to an arcade filled with all pre-1980 black & white raster & vector screen games!
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

i want berzerk and with that rob0t voice that are in the robot vic20 demo 8)

1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I believe there already are a bunch of top-down car racing games on the VIC-20. Neither is Le Mans, but on the other hand I don't have any strong memories of it. I'd vote for Spy Hunter. :-)
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Spy Hunter! I totally forgot about that one. That one was just mad (in a good way). The Peter Gunn music however, would start to get to me on the VIC 20 version.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Stroker 20 :P

Just kidding.. :D

M.U.L.E.
Petch / Pengo
Arkanoid
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

d0c wrote:i want berzerk and with that rob0t voice that are in the robot vic20 demo 8)
A Video of my Berzerk!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Did you guys know you can download videos from Google and put them on your ipod?? When did this happen? Now I am going to spend all evening downloading videos!