Total votes: 6

Boray
Musical Smurf

Money Wars (9 Aug 2004)

Post by Boray »

Money Wars

ftp://ftp.zimmers.net/pub/vic20/roms/8k ... 20Wars.prg

File for block 5. Load it ,8,1 and start it with SYS64802

I remember playing this game when I was little. There is also a similar game (but worse - looks home made) for the unexpanded vic, called Toby. Anyone remember it? I have it on tape...

And the person who gets the honour of selecting the game of next week will be Chris / "vic user"!

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I'll try it later today, but I just want to mention (The) Pit by Kavan (found in the games/unexpanded on the same FTP site) which I think is the same game idea as the other two - I suppose your Toby isn't the same one as the Pit game?

Actually, a Money Wars game is something I like to program myself, e.g. for the MiniGame compo, either as a VIC or 64 entry or some completely different platform once I know how to program it.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

This game is just odd. I don't know where the "Wars" comes into it. Boring gameplay. It's also keyboard only, right? I never liked this game, but my brother thought it was cool.

But, the graphics and sound effects are high quality and VERY surreal. I would imagine the game is much more enjoyable while on acid.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I am glad you mentioned graphics and sounds Leif, because I am having a hard time rating this game.

The sounds are top notch, imo, the graphics are not too bad, and there is lots of action, but i do not find the game addictive to play.

so i would give it really high marks for sound, fairly high marks for graphics, and a middle of the road score for game play and overall fun

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Sounds top notch? Well, apart from the "you're dead" jingle, I find the noises quite disturbing. The two purple comets supposedly stopping arrows doesn't add much to the game, I think.

The keys for speed-up and force field may be nice, but since the bonus should last for five rounds, you hesitate as long as possible from using them.

I like the game idea (and I'm not stoned). I believe this is an arcade conversion or something (Hal Labs being Commodore's Japanese label?), but implementation wise, I still stick to Kavan's unexpanded version, which has no speed-up, automatically refills force fields and rather smooth snow scroll (or whatever is falling down). I think I have an even simpler Basic implementation too (maybe it is the one Anders referred to as Toby).
Anders Carlsson

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I like the game idea (and I'm not stoned).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That brought a smile to my face!

chris
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

carlsson wrote: I think I have an even simpler Basic implementation too (maybe it is the one Anders referred to as Toby).
Maybe. It is basic but with SYS commands. It doesn't change the background/border color...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

The Pit: Hey!!! It's that little man from Bonzo!!! The whole game is very Bonzo like. Probably Kavan's style then... Has he (or they?) made any more games? Just like on Toby, the "brick shields" gets rebuilded when you take the money. On Money Wars that happens after every round instead...

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yep, Pit is the sequel (or prequel maybe?) to Bonzo. I think I even mentioned it before somewhere on this forum. I'm not sure if there was any more games with this guy, but I have a very faint memory I've heard about Bonzo II - could be something I dreamed though.
Anders Carlsson

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

PIT is really great! After playing it today I must say that it's a great deal better than Money Wars. Much more exciting. The graphics is better too. And that it looks and sounds like Bonzo is just a plus. The sounds are not killing the brain either ;)

I wonder which was first? Pit or Money Wars? I'm glad I selected Money Wars for "the game of the week", because else I wouldn't have come across Pit. Thanks Anders for telling about it!!! So Pit will be "my" game of the week. (Even though "Pit" sounds quite silly in Swedish ;) ). I would rate the games like this:

PIT 4.5 points
Money Wars 3 points
Toby 2 points.

(And that is without taking into consideration that Pit is for the unexpanded vic, while Money Wars uses 13k.) Pit is one of the best games I've played for the unexpanded vic.

My high-scores:
Pit: 8500
Money Wars: 66120

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Notice that Kavan chose the exact same keys (but adding joystick support) as Commodore always used on their cartridge games. I would think both games emerge from an arcade game - Google suggests "Money Wars" (1980) by Hoei, which however lacks both screen shots and emulated versions.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I first saw this game at a thrift store years after the VIC had left mainstream america's fancy. I was so excited to see a game I had never heard of before! So excited that I snatched it up and bought it after misreading the name. I thought it said "Monkey Wars", not Money...

I imagined a chaotic game like Robotron where monkies threw bananas at one another. I was a little disappointed at first, but it didn't take long for me to realize I had a great unique game!

I am so used to VIC games being clones or rip-off attempts of popular games on other platforms. I have to applaud the originality of this game.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.