NTSC games that wont work at PAL Vic20 ?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Mikam73
2049er

NTSC games that wont work at PAL Vic20 ?

Post by Mikam73 »

What NTSC Vic20 games wont work at PAL Vic20 ?

So far I have found:

Mountain King
Spider City
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Bandits
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Spider City and Bandits are not so bad, Carlsson do you think are PAL fixable like you have done with Spike's Peak so we (Pal Boys :D ) may play it on Multi-Cart too ?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

AE goes completely doolally as well.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mayhem wrote:AE goes completely doolally as well.
the zimmer version seems that works well on PAL, tested on VICE there are problems in Real hardware ?

AE-6000.prg
AE-a000.prg
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The version(s) I have go funny in Vice regardless of NTSC or PAL, so I always figured it was one of those that didn't like emulators (like Bandits). I'll try the Zimmer version out and see.

But yes, the real cartridge I have went funny on my PAL Vic20...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I didn't consider Spike's Peak to be a total success, but Bandits seems even more complex to fix. I haven't looked at Spider City, not that I can recall at least.
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Grabbed that version of AE, yep works fine in PAL here. If you try running it in NTSC though, it appears just like how the cart I have runs on my PAL Vic20.

(it's also exactly how the current image of the game I have looks in both NTSC and PAL on Vice)

Guess I'll be using that in GB20!

EDIT: Just made an interesting discovery... the file I currently had does work fine in Vice as well... but for some reason it doesn't work properly when booted up through Gamebase! Now that's gonna be an interesting one to bug hunt... any thoughts? And all the settings are the same...
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Mayhem, did you run the Zimmers version of AE on a real PAL VIC? Anyhow, on my PAL VIC it works great. One of my abolute favorite games on the VIC.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Ah no, I've only run my real NTSC AE cart on my PAL Vic20 and the screeen definitely goes funny.

So tracking down this issue between Vice and GB20... I'm not sure what's going on. Same version of Vice, same INI file, same two ROM files for AE, same video region (PAL), and yet it works fine manually doing it in Vice and not when it boots through Gamebase. If anyone can figure it out, please let me know. Maybe I'll post the boot code here if need be...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Didn't you have problems with some other cartridge before that booted all right manually in VICE, but flaked out through Gamebase? I don't have a clue how GB20 works, if it attaches files to the emulator and then makes a full hard reset or gets around it in some other way. When the game is loaded through GB20, maybe you can press Alt-Shift-R to make a hard reset on xvic and see if it goes back to normal?
Anders Carlsson

nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mayhem wrote: So tracking down this issue between Vice and GB20... I'm not sure what's going on. Same version of Vice, same INI file, same two ROM files for AE, same video region (PAL), and yet it works fine manually doing it in Vice and not when it boots through Gamebase. If anyone can figure it out, please let me know. Maybe I'll post the boot code here if need be...
The GB20 link of this page doesn't work, may you give me a valid link to try it ?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

You need the Gamebase frontend installed first, and then a database, and I'm the only one with the database currently! Though you can easily add an entry once that is sorted. Perhaps I can figure out how to deliver the files easiest for people to try themselves...
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Well I've figured out the problem... if you hard reset Vice it screws up, if you soft reset it's fine. Now... how to fix that issue!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Odd, that probably means if the ROM images are burned to EPROMs, the cartridge won't start properly in a real VIC without a soft reset. Unfortunately, I don't have any empty VIC-20 cartridge boards that take 2764 chips, only a few boards for double 2516/2716/2732 (probably 2532 too, although it has a different pinout).
Anders Carlsson