Any ROGUE-like games for the VIC-20?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Any ROGUE-like games for the VIC-20?

Post by ral-clan »

Apart from Sword of Fargoal, are there any ROGUE like games for the VIC-20? Apshai is sort of like this, but I'm thinking of a game where the whole dungeon map fits on a single screen.

There was a pretty good Rogue-like game called DUNGEON for the PET.

http://www.commodore.ca/download/commod ... ungeon.gif

I'm hoping there is already a VIC version of this game.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If I remember correctly, Dungeon (Dunjeon?) was the predecessor to Sword of Fargoal, also written by Jeff McCord. At least he had written a similar game for the PET before converting it to VIC-20 and later C64.

I think there were a few type-ins (COMPUTE!, Zzap Pow Boom!) in the same genre, but I don't know about other commercial games.

How about Tomb of Drewan? Maybe it is more RPG than hack'n'slash. I was going to suggest Riddle of the Sphinx, but it reminds me more about Jeff's collection of mini games than SoF.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I found the game "DRAGONS & TREASURE* on Tim Denning's site:

http://www.timsplace.plus.com/dtaps.html

Which seems to be exactly what I am looking for (from the screen shot http://www.timsplace.plus.com/tapescans ... easure.png). However, when I load the game in VICE all I get is teh company name, then the VIC resets to a clear screen and nothing happens. Listing the game reveals a SYS code.

Does anyone know how to get this game to work?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The tape image seems broken or something odd. I found out that by POKE 43,17 you can move past that SYS statement, but you run out of memory because the loader has filled everything including video matrix. I even tried a soft reset and then move start of Basic, but it crashed with ?OUT OF DATA. Perhaps it can be salvaged in one way or another; the video matrix seems to contain some valid 6502 code, but I don't know if it is intended to be called upon loading. In any case, SYS 6362 points to a void area.
Anders Carlsson

MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

And how about the brilliant Whack from the 2003 Minigame compo? By one of my favourite minigame authors, Aleksi Eeben. Unexpanded too!

Download from this page:
http://starbase.globalpc.net/~wyndex/mi ... .main.html
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I read the description for the game named Rogue, but how would you describe a "rogue game" as a genre? (as it seems you guys are using it)
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:I read the description for the game named Rogue, but how would you describe a "rogue game" as a genre? (as it seems you guys are using it)
I think of the genre that Rogue and similar games fall into as "dungeon crawls". Temple of Apshai and Gateway to Apshai were two of the more popular dungeon crawls back in the Commodore days and even though it's less RPG-like, the most popular of all time has to be Gauntlet.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

So, overhead maze game with a medieval theme? Or are RPG elements always implied?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

gklinger wrote:I think of the genre that Rogue and similar games fall into as "dungeon crawls". Temple of Apshai and Gateway to Apshai were two of the more popular dungeon crawls back in the Commodore days and even though it's less RPG-like, the most popular of all time has to be Gauntlet.
Rogue-like games seem to have a specific enough definition that Gauntlet for sure, and probably not even the Apshai games would qualify. See here under "usual features":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue-like

Some interesting links there too.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Just like Pac-Man, Defender, Asteroids and Tetris formed their own genres, named after the mother game, I'd say that Rogue did too. Thus, no need to describe it in other terms.

I had completely forgotten about Whack.
Anders Carlsson

gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I guess it all depends on how you define "like". The random generation aspect is a major part of Rogue and I can see some purists saying that if the dungeons aren't random, it isn't Rogue-like. That would certainly disqualify Gauntlet as it used static dungeons. I believe that the Apshais generated their dungeons randomly. It has been a long time since I played either and my recollection is fuzzy so I might be wrong. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the games I listed are Rogue-inspired.

Discussions like this are a beautiful thing. :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Telengard for the C64 is another Rogue-like game.
Rescue at Rigel for the VIC is an example of a Rogue-like (really Apshai-like) Sci-Fi themed game.

WHACK looks perfect. It would still be great if that Dungeons & Treasure game could be repaired, though.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Any ROGUE-like games for the VIC-20?

Post by ravenxau »

My New Roguelike - Serpent Caves

Here:- http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =10&t=7558
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I welcome your new game Serpent Caves, but I cannot figure out how to attack anything. I step "on" a snake and nothing seems to happen.
When a snake steps on me nothing also seems to happen, but then after carefully experimenting and watching the screen I notice sometimes I lose a hit/health point. If this is indeed combat that's occurring it would be useful to introduce some indication - i.e. the word ATTACK! at the top of the screen, or some sound.

Perhaps I am not playing it correctly.

Other than that it seemed fun though.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

ral-clan wrote:I welcome your new game Serpent Caves, but I cannot figure out how to attack anything. I step "on" a snake and nothing seems to happen.
When a snake steps on me nothing also seems to happen, but then after carefully experimenting and watching the screen I notice sometimes I lose a hit/health point. If this is indeed combat that's occurring it would be useful to introduce some indication - i.e. the word ATTACK! at the top of the screen, or some sound.

Perhaps I am not playing it correctly.

Other than that it seemed fun though.
there is no attack - your goal is survival and escape the 15 caves with as many diamonds as possible.
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....