Worst VIC game ever! A definitive list.

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

TNT
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Worst VIC game ever! A definitive list.

Post by TNT »

orion70 wrote:I once spotted a book about the game company, but can't remember where. It was some sort of visual compendium of those games.
Nufekop: Images of a classic game company. $3.71 for eBook isn't that bad. I bought it a while ago and don't think I wasted my money.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:D Thank you! Wouldn't the paperback (color) edition be better IYO?
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

From the Giant List of Classic Game Programmers
http://dadgum.com/giantlist/

ELDER, SCOTT [founder of Nukefop Software]

Dodgecars (1981, VIC, Nukefop)
VikMan (1981, VIC, Nukefop)
Escape (1981, VIC, Nukefop)
Search (1981, VIC, Nukefop)
Quirk (1981, VIC, Nukefop)
Bomber (1981, VIC, Nukefop)
Invasion (1981, VIC, Nukefop)
Rescue from Nufon (1981, VIC, Nukefop)
3-D Man (1982, VIC, Nukefop)
Defender on Tri (1982, VIC, Nukefop)
Anti-Matter Splatter (1982, VIC, Nukefop)
RaceFun (1982, VIC, Nukefop)
Krazy Kong (1982, VIC, Nukefop)
3-D 64 Man (1983, C64, Nukefop)
Cavern Construction kit, with Mike White (1983, C64, Nukefop)
Carnival Fun (1985, C64, BCI Software)
One-On-One Games (1986, C64, BCI Software)
Stunt Cycle (1986, C64, BCI Software)
Alien Panic (1987, C64, Free Spirit)
SuperBike (1987, C64, Free Spirit)
A Spy Tale (1987, C64, Viking)
Pebbles (1988, C64, Free Spirit)
Mini-Golf (1988, C64, UpTime)
Monster Power (1988, C64, Free Spirit)
RaceCraze (1988, Viking) [T]
Rally Racer (1988, C64, COMPUTE!)
Tombs of Doom (1989, C64, UpTime)
Super Bike II (1989, C64, LoadStar)
Kings Ransom (1989, C64, LoadStar)
Smasheroids (1989, C64, LoadStart) [T]
Grand Prix Challenge (1989, C64, Run)
Wheels (1990, C64, Softdisk)
Type Racer (1990, C64, Softdisk)
Drop Poker (1990, C64, Softdisk)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Anti-matter splatter! Definitely NOT one of the worst VIC games... Remember me playing it in countless challenges against my brother...
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Besides that i like the graphics in Anti-matter splatter, nice choice of colours.

Scott Elder gets a big credit for being orginal and trying to do something new. Many of Nufekop's games were about to give the gamers something different. Sometimes it worked well and sometimes it was a great idea that could have been a bit better implemented.

The first time i played Exterminator i wasn't aware of it was a copy of a popular arcade game from Atari. I bought several clones of Centipede for Vic 20 and from now on i was a Centipede freak.

Later i bought an Atari 800 XL and both Centipede and Millipede.

I guess it's a matter of personal taste but i have always been a sucker for Centipede and Millipede. I love the game mechanics and the frenetic action. You have to look forward and plan your game all the time.

My favourite arcade shooters are...

Centipede/Millipede
Galaxian
Robotron
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re:

Post by Barney »

Jeff-20 wrote:There's plenty of racism in videogames, but I thought our beloved VIC 20 had escaped that trap. I present to you the Commodore published (endorsed) Chinamen:

I think "Racist" is a little excessive. The game is called "Chinamen" and apparently the characters are little Chinamen. The world is getting too Politically Correct" nowadays. It's interesting that this game probably wasn't thought to be racist at all back when it was initially made. Just a thought.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

We learn to be offended. Same hot water I got into about casually referring to women as "broads" a while back. We get offended because we are repeatedly told that it is offensive. It is inculcated into us.

However, we can be just as easily de-sensitised if we like, by reading old books and periodicals, watching films from before 1990 or playing VIC 20 games.

The infantile preoccupation with offense can be cured. The continued life of the VIC 20 may depend on it.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: Re:

Post by Jeff-20 »

Barney wrote:
Jeff-20 wrote:Image
I think "Racist" is a little excessive. The game is called "Chinamen" and apparently the characters are little Chinamen. The world is getting too Politically Correct" nowadays. It's interesting that this game probably wasn't thought to be racist at all back when it was initially made. Just a thought.
I am not Chinese. And I'm certainly not trying to change anyone's opinion. Nor would I in this global climate. I was pointing out that the slanted-eye, buck-tooth image of a Chinese person may be a product of cultural bias. I've never seen a Chinese person that looks anything like "a little chinaman". But I am aware others may think they do. The cartoon Chinese caricature was historically a product of immigration fears and such. Yellow face tries to explain.

Here's my point. Don't be sensitive to my use of the word racism. It is no challenge to anyone's right to have opinions or a way of life. Just know I may have my own thoughts on the matter that differ.

I see no point in fighting stereotypes. If you think Jews are stingy, women belong in kitchens, and Chinese people are little, buck-toothed coolies (why won't they just admit it!), I'd probably just avoid you and wherever your from. And that'd make us both happy -- I'm from another one of those overly-sensitive genetic subgroups that might just cast a voodoo spell and cannibalize ya if I get angry! haha But you'll have no immigration fears from me.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Re:

Post by highinfidelity »

Jeff-20 wrote:I was pointing out that the slanted-eye, buck-tooth image of a Chinese person may be a product of cultural bias. I've never seen a Chinese person that looks anything like "a little chinaman".
I also know very few Italians that have black mustaches and sing opera tunes. And I also know very few French that wear a headkerchief around their neck and play an accordion all day. Still, this is how Hollywood depicts Europeans TODAY. But to understand why it is so, we should go into politics, and I know you don't like politics to be talked about on this forum. Go figure: perhaps we should also have to allude to the well known lack of understanding and knowledge of foreign cultures that affect the USA, of which the insane idea to export "liberty" and a Common Law system in the Mid-East, accustomed to circa 2000 years of Roman Law, is one of the most worrying symptoms. So let's skip it and let's go back to subject. :wink:

Wether one percieves these Hollywood stereotypes as a personal offense is subjective. I think that intelligent people do know that a very narrow minority of italians have mustaches and sing opera tunes, if they sing at all. And stupid and ignorant people will depict me as a mustached singer anyway.

On the other hand, I think that those Android smilies that instead of being plain yellow let you choose the colour of the writer's skin from snow white to coal black, are even more stupid than stereotypes. That's an outstanding example of how political correctedness (?) stretched to the limits can fall into plain idiocy. But of course this is only MHO.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

Damn… according to all them stereotypes, singing operas, liking high voltage beer, with no problem of making a complete dick of myself, I must be… Irish! Or Czech. Or Scottish would also suit me. :lol:
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

orion70 wrote:Anti-matter splatter! Definitely NOT one of the worst VIC games... Remember me playing it in countless challenges against my brother...
Hear hear - Anti-matter Splatter is a great game.
Kind regards, Peter.
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Absolutely. It was one of the few "typical VIC games" I badly wanted to replay when restarting the collection some ten years ago.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

By far the worst games for the Vic-20 are Congo Bongo and Qbert. The graphics and gameplay were horrendous. Sega and Parker Brothers should be ashamed.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Barney wrote:By far the worst games for the Vic-20 are Congo Bongo and Qbert. The graphics and gameplay were horrendous. Sega and Parker Brothers should be ashamed.
Just the print advertisements for Qbert were a constant embarrassment for the computer. http://www.atarimania.com/pubs/hi_res/pub_qbert_v2.jpg

As a kid, I would always think, "why did they just duplicate the 5200 pic for the 400/800 computers?"
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Ha Ha, the Vic-20 one looks like it's crashed or something