Worst VIC game ever! A definitive list.

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Worst VIC game ever! A definitive list.

Post by beamrider »

Agreed - that looks a type-in.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

darkatx wrote:Raid on Fort Knox always bothered me.
I like Raid on Fort Knox but Return to Fort Knox (Nippur72's remix) is a pretty good contender for my favourite game on the VIC.
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Another stinker is...

Nufecop Krazy Kong

I never forget the first time i played this game on my brand new Vic 20. Standing in the middle of my local arcade hall in the early 80's, was Donkey Kong, a popular game that everybody wanted to play. My friend was incredible good at playing Donkey Kong so i was very familiar to the game and ordered Krazy Kong for my new Vic 20 computer.

After a few days i got my anticipaded game. WOW, Donkey Kong at home. I loaded the game and was extremly disapointed. This was nothing to compare to the game in the arcade hall, in fact this game was terrible bad, almost unplayable.

Krazy Kong from Nufecop is one of the biggest stinkers on Vic 20, me think.

The Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0mO41MQzZc
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Vic 2000 wrote:Another stinker is...

Nufecop Krazy Kong

I never forget the first time i played this game on my brand new Vic 20. Standing in the middle of my local arcade hall in the early 80's, was Donkey Kong, a popular game that everybody wanted to play. My friend was incredible good at playing Donkey Kong so i was very familiar to the game and ordered Krazy Kong for my new Vic 20 computer.

After a few days i got my anticipaded game. WOW, Donkey Kong at home. I loaded the game and was extremly disapointed. This was nothing to compare to the game in the arcade hall, in fact this game was terrible bad, almost unplayable.

Krazy Kong from Nufecop is one of the biggest stinkers on Vic 20, me think.

The Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0mO41MQzZc
I feel with You - can imagine the disappointed sad little boy - these game companies were pure evil :evil:
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Then i bought Anirogs Krazy Kong, it was a lot better. Sadly i never got hold of Atarisofts Donkey Kong.

While speaking of Nufecop...

In the game catalogue that i ordered games from it was a 3D Pac Man for Vic 20. I thought, WOW, a 3D Pac Man, far out. I ordered 3D Man. Then i plugged in my switchable 16k expansion and set it to 3k. After a short while i realised that 3D Man was a real stinker. The playing area was real small and most of the screen consisted of a map. It was even hard to find the dots that pac man should eat and you had no time to react when a ghost appeared.

The only descent game i ever bought from Nufecop was Defender on Tri.
TNT
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TNT »

Vic 2000 wrote:While speaking of Nufecop
Ah, Nufekop...
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Well, Nufekop actually created one of my favourite games (that i forgot to mention).

Exterminator

It was the first Centipede i ever played and the game that made me a huge Centipede/Millipede fanatic. Even today i think that Centipede and Millipede are outstanding fun to play. Simplicity when it's best.

To keep the subject

Another real bad pile of junk is Cascades Cassette 50. 50 games on one cassette, all of them real bad where "Motorway" sticks out as the worst of them all. I read that people wasn't bought Cassette 50 for the games, they bought it for the free calculator watch included. ;) :D
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

Vic 2000 wrote:Another real bad pile of junk is Cascades Cassette 50. 50 games on one cassette, all of them real bad where "Motorway" sticks out as the worst of them all. I read that people wasn't bought Cassette 50 for the games, they bought it for the free calculator watch included. ;) :D
Cassette 50 was my first VIC-20 game experience. I downloaded it few months ago and I had weird flashbacks. :D
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

I never bought Cassette 50 myself, but a friend did.

I never forget the first time we played this collection. We were both surprised of how stinking bad all the games was.

Then we tried out the game "Motorway" in the collection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KHQc4SXwrY

Oboy, we never played this cassette again.... :D
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Vic 2000 wrote:I never bought Cassette 50 myself, but a friend did.

I never forget the first time we played this collection. We were both surprised of how stinking bad all the games was.

Then we tried out the game "Motorway" in the collection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KHQc4SXwrY

Oboy, we never played this cassette again.... :D
Check this out...
I’m pretty proud of this one. The authors of Cassette 50 – a notorious collection of primitive, mostly BASIC games advertised in seemingly every single ’80s game magazine, every single month – were mostly anonymous, uncredited kids, paid just £10 for their efforts. In 2005, thanks to a name left on a title screen and a few hopeful phone calls, I tracked down one of the games’ creators, now all grown up – and able to tell the story of how he (and his dad) put his little heart into that little game. Amazingly, he’d never even heard of Cassette 50: he’d sold his game, got his £10 and thought nothing more of it.
http://pixelatron.com/blog/cassette-50-the-interview/

That explains the quality... :D
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Cassette 50 is in GB20 at least, you don't want to know HOW long it took me to split all the games up from the TAPs that existed, and then put them all in as separate entries :P

(this was a few years ago now)

This did also mean playing them a bit to make sure they worked properly. Define "working properly" here :lol:

As for Nufekop, I guess Scott never updated his website sadly. He forwarded a ton of material onto me, for that I'm incredibly thankful, and that's gone into GB20 as well to be preserved. So if you want to see pretty much all the box scans, manuals and games, then get GB20 (although it should be on your hard drive already anyhow!). As it turned out, Exterminator is one of the very few games he did NOT write, which maybe why you like it Vic2000 :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

I have downloaded the most of the Gamebase sets for different computers including Gamebase Vic 20 off course. You're doing a Great job.

Back in 1983 i always thought that Nüfekop was a german software house. :D

No matter what anyone think about the games, Nüfekop is a classic software house and it's great to finally have all their games. I always wanted to get hold of Anti Matter Splatter, finally i got that game too, almost 30 years later. ;)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I own a few actual Nufekop originals. It amazed me when Scott sent me everything he had to see just how many games had been published, although I had suspected (proven to be true) that Rabbit and Bubble Bus had published quite a few of them in the UK. And by "published", I don't necessarily mean legally, especially in the case of Rabbit.

(btw Nufekop came about from... well, spell it backwards!)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Mayhem wrote:(btw Nufekop came about from... well, spell it backwards!)
Never realized this!
Nüfekop (umlaut makes it so German :)) has quite a dedicated following even nowadays. I once spotted a book about the game company, but can't remember where. It was some sort of visual compendium of those games.
I never noticed the previously unpublished Arcade Football, which retains all the (bitter?) flavor of original Nüfekop products. The games were associated with VIC's attempt at its launch to be "user friendly", as per this excellent article by Rick Melick.
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Aha, Pokefun. That explains the odd name Nüfekop.

Another fun fact about a classic software house for Vic 20.

Anirog released many games for Vic 20, later they switched name to Anco and released classic games as Kick Off for Amiga and Atari ST.

Want to know more about classic software houses?

Then try this one...
http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php ... :Companies