Worst VIC game ever! A definitive list.

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

vic user wrote:What are you talking about Tonks!

Cosmic Cruncher isn't THAT bad :wink:

chris

I have to agree with you "Vic User". People look at Cosmic Cruncher negatively because it is such a common cartridge. It is so damn common that I get sick of looking at the damn thing. It is so stinking common that everybody over time accumulates over 10 copies of this cheap cartridge. But........ if you just give the game a try, it's actually pretty fun. I forced myself to give it a try and now I kind of like it.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Jeff-20 wrote:Alien Sidestep is so bad it's funny. What an annoying experience! hahaha :lol: Again, Spike's Peak gets my vote.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. Spikes Peak is one of my favorate.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Mikam73 wrote:Home babysitter.. :P

Or maybe I am just too old. :D
You beat me to it (by about six years, I see). Home Babysitter is pretty lame.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Barney wrote:I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. Spikes Peak is one of my favorate.
I love the Atari 2600 even though it is very hard, but the VIC 20 version is almost impossible! Maybe I just hate it by comparison.

And Cosmic Cruncher seems kind of rare to me. I would say the most common VIC cart, for me, is Avenger or Adventure Land. I've only found one Cosmic Cruncher in my years of searching thrift stores.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Jeff-20 wrote:Alien Sidestep is so bad it's funny. What an annoying experience! hahaha :lol:
Last weekend I actually tried out Alien Sidestep on Mega-Cart. I told a friend about that specific manner of the Aliens, he wouldn't believe it and so I just *had* to start it up.

Well, auto-fire works wonders here. You just need to adjust the frequency so you build up a "wall" of bullets to the right of the aliens, blocking them. Then just go a bit to the left, and ZAP!

If they cheat, I'm also allowed to cheat. :wink:
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

This game, Galactic Warriors, deserves top billing in this thread... great splash screen, awesome features, but IMHO, it just never lived up to its hype. Maybe it's my joystick, just can't get off all the combo moves it 'claims' to allow.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

rhurst wrote:This game, Galactic Warriors, ...
Maybe I should have told you about the secret hot key combination earlier (keys '<-', '1', '2', 'S', and 'Z' with your left hand, keys 'INST DEL', 'CLR HOME', 'POUND', '=' and right 'SHIFT' with your right hand ... and 'N' with your nose tip).
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I'm not very keen on either version of the Anirog Donkey Kong games (UXP or 16K).
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

rhurst wrote:This game, Galactic Warriors, deserves top billing in this thread...
YAY! I made that game, and I'm proud to have it added to the top of the worst list!
Spectrum
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Spectrum »

Jeff-20 wrote:
rhurst wrote:This game, Galactic Warriors, deserves top billing in this thread...
YAY! I made that game, and I'm proud to have it added to the top of the worst list!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hahaha! Yeah! Galactic Warriors FOREVER! :lol:
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Worst VIC game ever! A definitive list.

Post by Barney »

I would have to say that:

1. Frogman
2. Dot Gobbler
3. Story Machine

These three are the biggest STINKERS ever made for the Vic-20.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Re:

Post by pitcalco »

rhurst wrote:
...racism in videogames
OUCH!! I never knew Commodore published that title.
However, what I want to know is this: Is the game Chinamen any fun?
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Any game offered commercially that was written in BASIC is a non-starter for me. For all the reasons why most of us here would realise, the VIC 20 and other old 8 bit systems really only start humming with programs in machine language in order to squeeze out everything the computer has to offer in terms of speed, memory, sound, graphics and just general playability. BASIC is fine in itself for users to make their own applications and programs. I don't mind type-in programs from magazines being in BASIC since there is a learning element to it, but I would never think of asking people to give me their money in exchange for a single program that I whipped out in BASIC.

I am trying to think of an analogy. Imagine buying a book on Amazon. It looks like an interesting book when you read the reviews and so you order it. When it arrives, you expect to find a single bound copy of printed text, but instead you get a binder full of loose-leaf sheets with the story written by hand, complete with Typex over the mistakes. Even if it is written very neatly and you like the story, I am sure you would feel a bit ripped off, right?

That is exactly my feeling with programs of any kind in BASIC. I don't want to see any program in BASIC that the owner of the computer did not make himself for his own specific purposes.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

pitcalco wrote:Any game offered commercially that was written in BASIC is a non-starter for me. For all the reasons why most of us here would realise, the VIC 20 and other old 8 bit systems really only start humming with programs in machine language in order to squeeze out everything the computer has to offer in terms of speed, memory, sound, graphics and just general playability. BASIC is fine in itself for users to make their own applications and programs. I don't mind type-in programs from magazines being in BASIC since there is a learning element to it, but I would never think of asking people to give me their money in exchange for a single program that I whipped out in BASIC.

I am trying to think of an analogy. Imagine buying a book on Amazon. It looks like an interesting book when you read the reviews and so you order it. When it arrives, you expect to find a single bound copy of printed text, but instead you get a binder full of loose-leaf sheets with the story written by hand, complete with Typex over the mistakes. Even if it is written very neatly and you like the story, I am sure you would feel a bit ripped off, right?

That is exactly my feeling with programs of any kind in BASIC. I don't want to see any program in BASIC that the owner of the computer did not make himself for his own specific purposes.
I agree... pretty much every Basic Game sold in stores was crap. I remember a company called "ALA Software" who cranked out games back in the early 80's. I bought many of them and they were all written in basic and totally unplayable. I felt as though I got ripped off.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Worst VIC game ever! A definitive list.

Post by Jeff-20 »

I want to add another perspective on commercial BASIC games. I'll also use an analogy.

Golf is a simple sport almost anyone could play, but spectators still pay to watch a better golfer demonstrate his or her particular play style in a game.

For me, a Basic game is this sort of demonstration. Like the type in magazine, it is showing the aspiring programmer what can be done. Furthermore, it allows the user to stop the program and alter code to tweak it to desired play. Maybe observe or steal snippets of code for his or her own programming. Basically, it's a golf clinic. The commercial Basic game serves a very specific function that straddles the market of game player and aspiring game maker and even the game modder (gameshark proves the viability of that market).

Sent from my phizzone