WIP: Sorcery (was: Two problems with Sorcery)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

any screens of the game?
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
brendanjones
Vic 20 Newbie

Screens

Post by brendanjones »

d0c wrote:any screens of the game?
Hi d0c,

There's a screenshot here:

http://www.kdef.com/geek/vic/vicbjsw.html#RPG

Also in the ZIP/manual on the same link.

cheers
bj
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I had a look at the snapshot of Sorcery 1.1 posted in another thread. I have come as far as the Basic program starts at 7340 ($1CAC). However, I'm unsure how much of the snapshot is garbage. I removed quite a lot, but it will still require 16K, perhaps 24K RAM to run. I wonder if this is an accurate figure? It is Pucrunched by the way.

http://www.cbm.sfks.se/files/sorcery11.prg

If Brendan was nice to release a true PRG version, or perhaps sources, it could better be single-filed. I don't know if this is a candidate for the Mega-Cart though, if it would occupy two memory cells and still not be certain it is a 100% version.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you very much Carlsson, I will test it extensively ASAP. I think that the game was originally intended to work with 16K, but better with 24K (16K only if you used short character names and/or a limited number of heroes).
Also, I will try and contact Brendan for the sources.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Any update on this? I was getting around to adding Sorcery to GB20 :)

Does the v1.1 work properly from Carlson's PRG creation?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I tested it thoroughly and it seems to work properly. Anyway, I'll try and contact Brendan Jones once more, to ask if he has released his own prg version of it. My impression is that Brendan has got a little spare time to put his hands on it. :cry:

He's a member of Denial too - Brendan, if you're lurking out there, give us a sign ! :lol:
Disc Master I
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Disc Master I »

Hi everyone.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I read through most of this thread and I am very interested in the game. Has there been any word on it since January of '08?

Also, to Brendan, perhaps if you decide to get back to it and do any modifications or enhancements you may be able to FINALLY get the game published. Psytronik seems to publish games for the C64 and the VIC-20. Realms of Quest III is coming out next month for the VIC-20. If it was me, I'd know that I'd be excited that after 25 years or so, my own creation was finally going to be an officially published product. Again, thats just my personal thoughts though.

I hope there might be some new news on this game.

Thanks
John
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Disc Master I wrote:Sorry to dig up an old post, but I read through most of this thread and I am very interested in the game.
I was surprised to see the Sorcery thread resurrected :D . You know, it's my first love (look at the avatar...). If you're interested into the map of dungeon B, I updated the links.
Disc Master I wrote:Has there been any word on it since January of '08?
Unfortunately, no news at all from then. The final version, extracted from a VICE snapshot (.vsf) with no known bugs, is V1.1, which includes some bugfixes (party is always oriented towards the North, exit bug corrected, monster regeneration after every 15th move, and so on); but no disk support, potions name, etc.
As a sidenote, V1.1 was included in the Mega-Cart collection.
Disc Master I wrote:Also, to Brendan, perhaps if you decide to get back to it and do any modifications or enhancements you may be able to FINALLY get the game published. Psytronik seems to publish games for the C64 and the VIC-20. Realms of Quest III is coming out next month for the VIC-20. If it was me, I'd know that I'd be excited that after 25 years or so, my own creation was finally going to be an officially published product. Again, thats just my personal thoughts though.
I don't know if Brendan is still reading this forum, but I have his email somewhere. If you want, I can PM it to you: Psytronik in the VIC business may captivate his attention :P .

Thanks for you post.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

John joined almost 6 years ago and has only 31 posts. Drifter. :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Hey, I was promoted to Scientist - and didn't notice it.
1000th post missed. No party. :cry:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Actually Disk Master showed up on Lemon64 asking for RPGs, to which I pointed him to "Realms" and mentioned I recognized his handle from Denial. It may be the reason he found his way back here. :)
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Disc Master I wrote:Hi everyone.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I read through most of this thread and I am very interested in the game. Has there been any word on it since January of '08?

Also, to Brendan, perhaps if you decide to get back to it and do any modifications or enhancements you may be able to FINALLY get the game published. Psytronik seems to publish games for the C64 and the VIC-20. Realms of Quest III is coming out next month for the VIC-20. If it was me, I'd know that I'd be excited that after 25 years or so, my own creation was finally going to be an officially published product. Again, thats just my personal thoughts though.

I hope there might be some new news on this game.

Thanks
John
What's cool about Sorcery is that it was an actual game that was made in the 1980s (and modified later). But this was made at the tail end of the VIC-20's lifespan in terms of commercial software and the publisher he submitted it to dropped the ball and forgot about it. I suppose that in an alternate universe, we'd have seen this game advertised in the pages of COMPUTE! magazine just in time for the 1984 Christmas season.

It certainly deserves a commercial release. A cassette version would be fitting since it saves the game in progress to tape.

So what were the best VIC-20 RPGs (from the 1980s) ? I'd say:

1. Sorcery
2. Sword of Fargoal
3. Temple of Apshai
4. Ultima: Escape from Mount Drash (yeah, I know that it gets maligned a lot by those uppity Ultima fans but the 3D maze perspective was pretty good for the time).

I remember a few VIC-20 RPG games that were advertised in the pages of Gazette or COMPUTE! (16K required). I forgot their names, but I assume that they're the ones that are available at the zimmers VIC-20 archive, and that they mostly had PETSCII graphics.
carlsson wrote:Actually Disk Master showed up on Lemon64 asking for RPGs, to which I pointed him to "Realms" and mentioned I recognized his handle from Denial. It may be the reason he found his way back here. :)
Thanks mate!
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

orion70 wrote:Hey, I was promoted to Scientist - and didn't notice it. 1000th post missed. No party. :cry:
Here's your 1000th posting.

Congratulations! :)

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I'd rather have written a more significant post :oops: .
Thanks anyway :D .