Pengo for VIC-20?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Pengo for VIC-20?

Post by hawk »

One of my favourite games in the arcade was Pengo. Was this ever made for the VIC-20?
Thomas Hechelhammer
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Thomas Hechelhammer »

I'm not sure that the original game (Atari) was ported.

But, I've found a funny screenshot of a pengo-like game for the vic20. Sorry, not the game-code itself. :-(

http://www4.tripnet.se/~slarti/t_hist20_se.htm

The original pengo looks like this:

-- Thomas
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

There was a clone published in Compute's Gazette called freeze factory iirc.
Rob
Thomas Hechelhammer
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Thomas Hechelhammer »

I have this clone "Freeze Factory", requires the vic20 without any RAM-extension.

(C64 screenshot)

Seems for me being nearly unplayable, and doesn't cover the original gameplay.

I would like to upload the game, but either I'm too stupid or this forum doesn't support any attachments. :( :(

Why is it not possible to attach ANY files?

Does the traffic cost so much money? :shock:

-- Thomas
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Ice is a beautiful clone made by Cymbal Software.

You can find it on Zimmers here:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... index.html
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

Ice is not bad. Unfortunately the game has not got the same play elements as the original. But you're right about it being good looking...and for unexpanded as well. It seems to get very difficult very quickly.

There was also a game titled Pengo on the same disk, but it appeared to be empty.
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Macguyver »

The file at

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... index.html

is corrupt and no longer opens. Does anyone have a different link?

Mac
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

No, the D64 image is fine. However, the FTP server (or your browser?) automatically gunzips files when you open them. This means you get a file called GAMES1.D64.gz, which actually already is GAMES1.D64. Your external unzip program doesn't know the D64 format and fails. It means, you should save the file and rename it to use it properly.

This applies to all files on Zimmers, former Funet.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

There was Blockbuster
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

I found a screen shot of the VIC-20 version of Freeze Factory.

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Hi, all. I think I've found another version of Pengo. It was called "Ice Battle" in one of those Italian cassette mags full of pirated software 8)

For a picture of it (and of all the other titles), go here
http://www.edicolac64.com/public/vedisc ... editore=21
and download "program n12.part1". It's on page 9. The description fits perfectly with the aim of the original coin-op.

The cassette itself is downloadable:
http://www.edicolac64.com/public/vedica ... ?editore=4
("program n12")

I've tried it, and to my standards it's both difficult and boring (hints: in VICE, use alt+w because it's way too loooong to load; the joystick apparently doesn't work properly; choose the keyboard instead).
Anyway, Ice is better, and it's on unexpanded VIC :wink:

It was just for completeness. Cheers!
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

There was Chocabloc by Paramount. I remember it as an okay pengo clone but still rather poor. By the way, there aren't any good pengo clones for C64 either. Just imagine what could have been - a Vic Pengo of the same quality as Jelly Monsters!
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

About C64 Pengo. There is an official conversion but it is slow and therefore sucks. What a shame... A lot of those early arcade-C64 conversions were far from perfect. I sometimes wish that the developers of the late eighties would have attempted to replicate the old arcade games instead of Out Run and the likes.
Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

hasseapa wrote:A lot of those early arcade-C64 conversions were far from perfect. I sometimes wish that the developers of the late eighties would have attempted to replicate the old arcade games instead of Out Run and the likes.
There was a strange mindset in the mid 80's where games just a couple of years old were frowned upon as ancient by magazines. Ocean took a risk and bought out their excellent versions of Donkey Kong and Mario Bros in 1986. DK was a very faithful conversion but they were panned for it, which is a shame because it would have been nice to have a version of DKjr of similar quality.

Oh well. :P
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

I started a discussion on this (a pengo style game) about one month ago... I personally think that blockbuster is the only game that can be compared to pengo for the vic (even if it uses different style of graphic) more than the other mentioned in this discussion. Nobody could find the game that I still remember and that I played when I was young: it was very similar to the real pengo. I found it on a "pirate" cassette (one of those that orion70 mentioned) but I seem to remember that it was the one called "playgames" and not "program"... It even used a particular screen size (greater than normal) small and well defined character and worked on unexpanded vic... someone has a trace of it?
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.