Atlantis

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

vic user
VicGyver

Atlantis

Post by vic user »

Anybody have this cart. and how do you find it?

I had it for my intelli way back when, but if the vic version is good, then i wouldn't mind picking it up.

chris
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I have Atlantis. It's excellent! Frantic but smooth and simple gameplay, and the graphics are first-class.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

cool, i will keep an eye on ebay

i ran it on an emulator and it looks terrible, but i just went to cartzilla, and it mentions that under emulation that it sucks

chris
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

What kind of game is Atlantis ?

I have heard name, but thats all I know about it..

8)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

This is a screenshot from the PAL version, using WinVICE 1.14. The NTSC version looks much the same. Actually this one may use raster timing and thus make a real difference between PAL and NTSC.

It is a "defend city from spacecraft" game, where you shoot bullets from left and right (fixed positions) before the enemy can abduct your people.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

ok, the game looks way better in emulation, once i set everything to NTSC :)

this will be really fun on a real vic.

Mika;

in atlantis, you are protecting a beautiful seaside city, as waves of Gorgon attack vessels fly across the screen, getting lower and lower, until they fire their death rays at the buildings below. very scenic and busy!

very fast paced and easy to control.

i do want this cartrdige, and damnit should have bis on one that was available 2 weeks ago or so

chris
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Looks nice.. I would like to have one too.. :D
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

But why don't you just play the cart image file on your real vic???????

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Were there PAL versions of the Imagic Vic20 carts? I've only come across NTSC ones you see...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

At least there is a ROM dump which runs on VICE in PAL mode, and typical NTSC images on a PAL machine acts like you would suppose they do even in the emulator. Screen centering is fairly easy to fix, but I believe Atlantis has some raster timing (often requiring different code) which tells me it is likely that the ROM dump comes from a real PAL cartridge. This is of course speculation, but qualified such. :D
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I ask because of that: none of the NTSC carts I have work properly on a PAL Vic20.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

It seems a total of 2715 bytes out of 4096 (not counting the load address) is different between Atlantis.PAL.prg and Atlantis.NTSC.prg. That is 2/3 of the whole file, so I suppose it is not a recent PAL fix by VIC archiving community.
Anders Carlsson

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Err.. maybe that was a crude way to compare files, as it is enough that one byte is added and the rest is moved forward to make a huge difference. If anyone is interested, I could try to have a more closer look (disassembly even) some day.
Anders Carlsson