VIC Crash game

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

VIC Crash game

Post by Lechuck »

Hi,

just uploaded a 'new' game for the VIC-20 + 8K. It is my personal version of Exidy's Crash.

Download from here

It is the second game I remember having played in the coin op Arcade machines (First one was Space Invaders :-) ). I always saw Crash as the forerunner to Pacman and other maze games that came after it, but it didn't get the credit it deserved (IMHO). I always thought that it would fit very well in Vic's capabilities but the ports I've seen so far didn't try to mimic the original game.

Original game was using blue color on a black screen (with some texts in yellow). Since this is not the best color combination for the VIC, I have included the option to change the foreground color to white, from the presentation screen, by using the key 'C' (This will provide a pure black and white combination that, I think, looks much better in our VIC). From the presentation screen, you can also center the screen by using the cursor keys.

Game is using 27x27 characters (it was the minimum I found to be able to draw 5 lanes, as Exidy's game). That means that in NTSC VICs, last column is barely visible. I have also tried to adapt speed diferently in PAL and NTSC but NTSC version is still slower (if I increase the speed in that version, movement is not smooth, don't know why, yet). Still playable in NTSC too, though (I think...).

I hope you enjoy it

Cheers
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: VIC Crash game

Post by beamrider »

Awesome - it really does have that early arcade feel to it. Nice and smooth as well.

Must confess I don't recall seeing/playing this before. It sure is infuriating to play though, I need more practice!
Last edited by beamrider on Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

beamrider wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:16 am Awesome - it really does have that early arcade feel to it. Nice and smooth as well.

Must confess I've don't recall seeing/playing this before. It sure is infuriating to play though, I need more practice!
Thanks for trying it. I’m very glad you like it!

Maybe it was dependant on the country. In Spain it was more or less common to see it in the Coin op Arcades. I found it very adictive.

Cheers
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

A new game is always welcome thanks for the time to code and post it !! :D
Orac
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Orac »

I vaguely remember playing the arcade machine in my youth. I've played various versions of it over the years but this one is really well done. I like the smooth feel. Nice work! :D
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Rich wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:16 pm A new game is always welcome thanks for the time to code and post it !! :D
Thanks!
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Orac wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:50 pm I vaguely remember playing the arcade machine in my youth. I've played various versions of it over the years but this one is really well done. I like the smooth feel. Nice work! :D
Yes, I have tried different versions (for different computers) but, for some reason, nobody seemed to try to mimic the look and feel of the original one. Surprising, since it is a very simple game…

I’m glad you like it. Thanks for trying it!

Cheers
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Another very good Vic-20 porting, thanks for your work.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Just realised this that the 1981 VIC game "Car Chase" by Andy Finkel himself is obviously the same game-principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQA6e9XPcIM
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

nbla000 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:18 am Another very good Vic-20 porting, thanks for your work.
Good to know you liked. Thanks for trying it!

Cheers
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

tokra wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:31 am Just realised this that the 1981 VIC game "Car Chase" by Andy Finkel himself is obviously the same game-principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQA6e9XPcIM
Yes, Andy Finkel’s Car Chase was one of the versions available for the VIC 20. Another one was Bullet (from Mastertronic).

https://youtu.be/NSTlO8COC0o

But, while they were using same game-principle, didn’t try to mimic original game (maybe to avoid copyright issues?…)

I always liked Exidy’s game and thought it would be funny to play it in the VIC (as mentioned, it fits pefectly in VIC’s capabilities…). Not to mention how funny it was developping it :D

Cheers