*ALL PHYSICAL COPIES ARE SOLD OUT*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version is available)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Re: Work in progress: REALMS OF QUEST V

Post by Ghislain »

I've also revised the race and class tables, so I'll just post images of the most current iteration of their respective spreadsheets:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
You can see them better if you click on them. They're pretty self-explantory to any fans of RPG games.

For example, if you create a Male Dwarf, they can roll 5D6 for strength (4 or being a dwarf and 1 for being male). If you roll perfect 6s for all the dice for a single attribute, you can roll an additional 1D6 to surpass your race's normal limits and as long as you keep rolling a perfect 6, then additional 1D6 will continue to be rolled as well.

And if said male dwarf chooses to be a fighter, he will get 16 base hitpoints per level (plus whatever his Health bonus is) because he gets 8 for being a dwarf, 2 for being male and 6 for being a fighter.

Males are stronger and normally have more hit points while females get health and charisma bonuses.

And this male dwarf fighter has an EXP score of -1 (+2 for being a dwarf and -3 for being a fighter). The higher the race/class combo EXP your player character is, the more more monsters he or she will have to normally kill in order to progress to the next level.

You train for your levels by sleeping at the inn that are located in the 3 castles in the game (for 1-6 months). This in turn causes aging and if the male dwarf in this case reaches past the age of 150 he will begin to deteriorate in his abilities and when one of them reaches zero, he will die permanently of old age. Elves and Eldars do not suffer from aging and can be effectively immortal as long as they are not killed by monsters.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I've revised the classes by making minor modifications and I removed the "Proteus" class (which was a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" type of class) to replace it with the "War-Mage" (basically a Fighter/Wizard/Cleric combo class - and it is the one that requires the most experience to advance in levels).
realms5.jpg
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I just realized something ... I started actual work on this game on February 2 of last year -- so I've been working on this game for 1 year and 2 days. I was really hoping to be finished in 6 months! I've been bogged down on creating content for the cities and the townspeople who live there. I have 11 1/2 cities done with 8 1/2 to go.

Some screenshots of my relatively recent work. I also changed the copyright date to 2018, but I've a feeling that this game won't actually ship until 2019! I seriously doubt I will make another game like this, it's just too time-consuming and definitely not easy to do.
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
realms7.jpg
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Good things take time and it's the time you've taken to focus on the detail of the game that is making it a truly great game.

The Vic deserves a game of this magnitude. Take your time we are patient.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

To steal a phrase from modern times, this is looking like the killer app for the VIC 20! Looking forward to this game!
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

norm8332 wrote:the killer app for the VIC 20
:) Yep Norm, it's gonna be our VIC's VisiCalc.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Thanks for the encouraging words!

I just finished designing the 12th city of the game, Minas Lugo -- I only have 8 more to do before I'm finished the City/Populace portion of the game which represents about a quarter of the game content. While I've found the process of designing the cities to be tedious at times, I did visit one of the earlier cities I had created a few months ago and I found myself curious what everybody in the city had to say. My earliest RPG, "Ultimate Quest" for the C64 (available as a B-side game on Realms IV and for download from my blog) had a single city for you to explore and talk to people. It certainly adds atmosphere and a sense of exploration to the game -- something that I didn't do for the first 3 Realms games for the VIC-20.

Anyway, here are some portrait images of those who inhabit Minas Lugo:
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Stunning portraits! It's really gonne be a perfect match of vastness, freedom of exploration, and aesthetics polished to the limit. A real milestone, if I may repeat, I can't wait to play with :). I guess I'll randomly explore, talk to people, and fight for months before getting acquainted enough with it, and begin playing seriously.
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

Wanna play. Am feeling like Wellhung Elfsdong just watching demos but that's probably the payback.
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 wrote:Stunning portraits! It's really gonne be a perfect match of vastness, freedom of exploration, and aesthetics polished to the limit. A real milestone, if I may repeat, I can't wait to play with :). I guess I'll randomly explore, talk to people, and fight for months before getting acquainted enough with it, and begin playing seriously.
Thanks again to all for the kind words. I think the portraits really add to the overall feel of the game -- I had conceived of the idea way back in 2014 to digitize multicolor graphics for "if I were to Realms V, it would look like this" and now the results are coming together much better than I had expected.

I've reprogrammed the entire engine of Realms IV to convert it from BASIC to machine language (along with many major additions, such as alignment). One could conceivably just play the game while fighting against monsters outdoors in order to grind their party to the next level. But there is a quest to solve as well. While creating content for a story-driven game is not always easy, I think the efforts will be worth it.

I've revised the player race statistics again -- this time making the races much different from each the other Some of the characteristics go to extremes, such as Eldar Elves having 5d6 IQ and CHARISMA, but with a HEALTH of 1d6. I made the Ogre less clumsy by increasing it's AGILITY from 1D6 to 2D6 and I basically ascribed the "slow and clumsy" player race to the Zzy-Zzyx (interdimensional beings who act very strange and bizarre to those in our world).
realms5.jpg
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

R'zo wrote:Good things take time and it's the time you've taken to focus on the detail of the game that is making it a truly great game.

The Vic deserves a game of this magnitude. Take your time we are patient.
Thank you for this. I think I should also learn to be patient. I sometimes get frustrated at my own procrastination when I'm producing the content portion of the game, but the other day I actually read an article that said that procrastination is actually an important element of being creative. You can't produce art in an assembly line fashion (though I do push myself to do this at times in order to get things done). While I certainly don't want to procrastinate forever (because the game will never get finished), it is a good thing to take a mental break from time to time. I think a balanced approach is best here.

I actually visited certain portions of the game that I had worked on a few months ago, and because I had forgotten about the text I had written for the first few early cities I worked on, I found myself being curious about what the people you can talk to in the game had to say.
norm8332 wrote:To steal a phrase from modern times, this is looking like the killer app for the VIC 20! Looking forward to this game!
Thank you for the very kind comment. I might not be the best programmer in the world, but this project is a testament to one very determined VIC-20 enthusiast to see an epic RPG game being made for it. True, I had done this with Realms III & IV and then I swore afterwards that I would never make another project like those again, but I never find myself being satisfied with the works that I produce.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I just finished designing city #14 called "The Citadel of Alan". Here's some screenshots of the townspeople you will encounter there:
realms6.jpg
realms5.jpg
I only have 6 more cities to do and I will be done with the content for the City/Populace portion of the game.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I still can't wait to see what you do with the dungeons.
R'zo
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Ghislain wrote:I just finished designing city #14 called "The Citadel of Alan".
A horror literature themed city? :)
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

This did make me laugh when I saw it. Then it made me a little sad. Love the pic.
Ghislain wrote:I just finished designing city #14 called "The Citadel of Alan". Here's some screenshots of the townspeople you will encounter there:
realms6.jpg
R'zo