*ALL PHYSICAL COPIES ARE SOLD OUT*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version is available)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

JavaJack
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: *ALL PHYSICAL COPIES ARE SOLD OUT*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version is available)

Post by JavaJack »

Kweepa wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:24 pm Interesting... I prefer some features of the original, mainly the eyes. While they are less defined, they are more natural looking.
Agreed.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Re: *ALL PHYSICAL COPIES ARE SOLD OUT*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version is available)

Post by Ghislain »

Kweepa wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:24 pm Interesting... I prefer some features of the original, mainly the eyes. While they are less defined, they are more natural looking.
Thank you for your feedback. I just felt that with touching up the other portraits and images to give them more distinct contrasts instead of having the faint dithered look, that I needed to add a bit more "oomph" to this portrait.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I just sent version 1.20 of the game to the publisher. Double Sided Games should send the updates to those who bought the previous versions.

realms5.jpg

Revision 1.20 changes:

-Added images to death slideshow sequence
-Added 2 images for the "Dark Times" sequence
-Added digitized map to "Castle Rivaria" sequence
-Added additional images to "Civil War" sequence
-Made the in-game Search Tablet chart easier to read (to match what appears on page 34 of the manual)
-Changed "Acknowledgements" to "About This Game" to show a slideshow sequence about the features. Acknowledgements are listed at the end of the sequence.
-The Allies menu allows you to view information about your companions directly from here
-You can choose to view "alignment-sex-race-class" with runes symbols or 2-letter abbreviations
-The number keys can be used to switch the player that you are currently looking at with the View command.
-View Pic allows you to select additional player portraits to view when you are under this command
-Exit keys can be used to go from "menu mode" to "movement mode"
-A "Join" symbol appears next to the player when they have an ally.
-The number of files that are loaded when the game boots have been reduced

Revision 1.10 changes:

-Lady Carmilla Bane's portion of the tablet is now located in the centre. This makes more sense from an aesthetic perspective.
-The village leaders now give you tangible clues on how to succeed in the game (instead of them saying "We saw orcs marauding in Samunda!" which is random and meaningless, they will say something quite useful like "Protection from Evil will raise the armor of your entire party during battle!")
-3 magic spells have been modified (for the sake of game balance)
-There were minor spelling and grammatical errors that needed to be corrected.
-Several graphical slideshow sequences have been added to the "History And Lore" section of the main menu. <- I found that I had a lot of free space across 4 disks after I implemented compression, so I decided to make use of it.

Hopefully, there will be no version 1.3 -- I think I've crammed in as much new content and implemented enhancements that were realistically possible for the game and for the platform.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Very, very happy :D
JavaJack
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by JavaJack »

Are saved games compatible?
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

JavaJack wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:29 pm Are saved games compatible?
Yes.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

By the way, a user on Twitter just told me that he solved the game:

DB831BDB-8BBD-4216-9BF5-46AB6582FEEF.png
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Noooooo.. you spoiler the final screen.. :|
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I am about half-way through the game, but I've still not found a way to revive a player who has fallen asleep (i.e. sleep spell).
I can't find a spell to do that. Only way I've found is resting at in inn. Is there any other way to waken a sleeping party member?

Also, are spells of protection cumulative? i.e. if a party member casts "BLESS" (+4) and another casts "SPIRITUAL SHIELD" (+8) is there a cumulative bonus of +12?

I noticed that the HASTE spell, for instance, is not cumulative. You cannot cast Haste on someone twice and reap quadruple speed attacks.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:20 am Noooooo.. you spoiler the final screen.. :|
Well... the final screen is actually several slideshow images. The one that the player on Twitter posted was the most innocuous one.
Last edited by Ghislain on Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

ral-clan wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:11 pm I am about half-way through the game, but I've still not found a way to revive a player who has fallen asleep (i.e. sleep spell).
I can't find a spell to do that. Only way I've found is resting at in inn. Is there any other way to waken a sleeping party member?
The spells "Remove Curse" and "Remove Curses" will cure a player who is paralyzed, charmed or asleep when you are out and about.
Also, are spells of protection cumulative: i.e. if a party member casts "BLESS" (+4) and another casts "SPIRITUAL SHIELD" (+8) is there a cumulative bonus of +12?

I noticed that the HASTE spell, for instance, is not cumulative. You cannot cast Haste on someone twice and reap quadruple speed attached.
The spells that confer combat bonuses are not cumulative and they will only last for the duration of the battle.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

A question:

- In the Merchant's in the town of Wynna, there is a Balthazar Ring for sale. It's not listed in my (physical) copy of the game's manual. What does it do?
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

ral-clan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:31 pm A question:

- In the Merchant's in the town of Wynna, there is a Balthazar Ring for sale. It's not listed in my (physical) copy of the game's manual. What does it do?
It is not listed in the physical manual because it is one of 7 items I decided to add to version 1.3 of the game (which I sent to you by email). In the same email, there would be a PDF of the new manual that would have these items listed:

realms5.jpg

Moreover, you can also use the "inspect" option to view the specific details of an item as well. This option can be accessed from View, Use Item, Equip and the Market as well.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I continue to modify the game, even long after it was published in physical form. I actually implemented some very good quality-of-life improvements, most notably being able to directly swap inventory items from the equip screen (instead of having to view the player first) and now you can use an item's power directly from the inventory screen without having to equip the item first (the rationale being that a player shouldn't have to remove an item, then equip the other item, use its power, and then have to re-quip the old item). The latter is especially useful for single-use items like potions or those that increase or change your stats. These changes save a lot of time and make inventory management a lot less cumbersome.

I'm also modifying the manual and adding content. I changed the cover, too (Just slightly--I might revert to the original, I'm just procrastinating).

realms2.jpg
realms1.jpg
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Ghislain wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:43 pm I'm also modifying the manual and adding content. I changed the cover, too (Just slightly--I might revert to the original, I'm just procrastinating).

realms2.jpg
Hi Ghislain,

I had to play "where's Waldo" comparing the two covers for a while before I noticed the change(s). Although a small change, probably for the better in some aspects (like making the game more inviting for women to play). Just wondering what your personal rationale was.

I do think the outfit on the pre-change cover is a little impractical. It's funny, when I look at depictions of women in old D&D manuals, etc.; though they were titillating for a young teenage boy, they are quite impractical in retrospect - who in their right mind would go dungeon exploring wearing the equivalent of a string bikini where the slightest exhortation would result in a "wardrobe malfunction"?!