Monopole (Monopoly) VIC + 24K

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Victragic
Frogger '07

Monopole (Monopoly) VIC + 24K

Post by Victragic »

I'm developing something of an interest in ambitious early BASIC games. Don't know if anyone else remembers this one?

It's a 2-player only Monopoly game written in BASIC. From what little I know, it was originally written for the PET 2001 in 1978 by someone called John O'Hare, then later converted to the C64. It may also have been distributed by Rabbit Software for some time (possibly illegally, not sure).

Somehow my primary school ended up with a copy of the game, I guess because it was broadly educational. We would wait an eternity for it to load (one 1541 drive to 8 C64s!) but it was quite fun - colourful, quirky, and fast-paced. More fun than 'Lemonade stand' anyway.

Anyway, I thought it might be a fun little project to convert it to the Vic... the fun part was using a real VIC to do this. Tough on the eyes, but easier to enter PETSCII graphics.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QUH1bI ... sp=sharing

It seems the program was targeted for a 32k machine, however it has to be said the code is not particularly tight - there's a lot of duplicated code in there. Quite a luxury to have so much memory back in 1978, I would think.

The usual fun of trying to cram a lot of information into 22 columns ensued. In particular for property names I ended up with eight characters, so there are some painful abbreviations. Also, not being able to print orange text was annoying. Overall though, I think it plays more or less like the C64 game.

--UPDATE--
2018/11/26 Fixed some errant $ signs back to pound signs
Last edited by Victragic on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
3^4 is 81.0000001
ka20
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Monopole (Monopoly) VIC + 24K

Post by ka20 »

My dad bought our Commodore 64 in 1982 when it first came out, so there wasn't much in the way of software at the time, and this was the first game we got for our C64. My brother and I spent countless hours playing it. This brings back great memories.

This is a great port of the game. It's very true to the C64 version. Thanks your work on this. I tried it out in VICE and I look forward to running it on my real VIC.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Glad you remember this game fondly too, ka20.
3^4 is 81.0000001
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

Love the implementation of this game. Marvelous. :)

Trying to sell your houses to avoid bankruptcy breaks the game. :(

Also, the board is the London version and all currency should be in £'s (Super Tax and Income tax).
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

vicist wrote:Love the implementation of this game. Marvelous. :)

Trying to sell your houses to avoid bankruptcy breaks the game. :(

Also, the board is the London version and all currency should be in £'s (Super Tax and Income tax).
Ha - force of habit entering those dollar signs.

I hadn't encountered that problem when selling properties. If you can describe the problem a bit more it should be easily fixed.

--edit - oh, selling houses, not properties. Sorry I misread. Will look at this tonight.

Cheers
3^4 is 81.0000001
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Fixed some stray dollar signs, but can't seem to make the game crash when selling properties.
3^4 is 81.0000001
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

As you mentioned in your edit of previous post...
Victragic wrote: oh, selling houses, not properties. Sorry I misread.
When you try to sell a house, a 'redo from start' error occurs and no matter what you type, you can't get out of it. :(
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

vicist wrote:As you mentioned in your edit of previous post...
Victragic wrote: oh, selling houses, not properties. Sorry I misread.
When you try to sell a house, a 'redo from start' error occurs and no matter what you type, you can't get out of it. :(
Yeah, unfortunately there's no function in the original Pet Monopole game that allows you to sell houses. You can also only sell properties without houses on them.
3^4 is 81.0000001
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

The function to sell houses comes under the 'Mortgage' menu category.
It was broken because of the INPUT statements being longer than 22 characters (this would have been OK on a 40-column PET).

I have fixed this problem and it seems to work as it should now. :)
monopole.zip
(11.5 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

vicist wrote:The function to sell houses comes under the 'Mortgage' menu category.
It was broken because of the INPUT statements being longer than 22 characters (this would have been OK on a 40-column PET).

I have fixed this problem and it seems to work as it should now. :)
monopole.zip
Aha! Thanks for that - that input issue came up numerous times in the conversion.
3^4 is 81.0000001
Neo-Rio
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Neo-Rio »

Nice attempt at porting BASIC V2 goodies to the Vic 20!

Porting this would have been like my Telengard port - the screen size and slightly tighter basic RAM will stretch you to rework the program fairly considerably. I used the C64 PRG Studio to mangle the BASIC code for Telengard. I have to say that it made things so much easier.

Will you post this in the announcements thread of the forum?

It might be fun to try porting another large BASIC V2 game over to the Vic. Any ideas for a candidate program anyone?
"Lord of the Balrogs" might be worth it...
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Yes, the fun(?) of converting anything text-based to a Vic has to be the odd screen size. I used to do this with type-in games from magazines back when that was a thing, it could be really frustrating at times..!

I've thought of doing a conversion of the C64 game 'Kaiser', though I can't seem to find an English version of it anywhere. It was a great resource-management game, though it would often crash at the 'battle' scene.

Must check out your Telengard conversion too.
3^4 is 81.0000001
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Victragic wrote:I've thought of doing a conversion of the C64 game 'Kaiser', though I can't seem to find an English version of it anywhere. It was a great resource-management game, though it would often crash at the 'battle' scene.
English version of Kaiser should be in Gamebase64, I was the one who actually backed up an original disk of it for the preservation project.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Much appreciated Mayhem! Yes, of course I should have searched Gamebase first.. :oops:
3^4 is 81.0000001
Neo-Rio
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Neo-Rio »

Victragic wrote: Must check out your Telengard conversion too.
It's over here:
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =telengard