SVIDEO vs SCART

Discuss anything related to the VIC
naujoks
Vic 20 Drifter

SVIDEO vs SCART

Post by naujoks »

What's your opinion on the video quality you're getting with the svideo mod compared to a SCART adapter output.
Currently I have the SCART cable, as my soldering skills are lacking, but the picture quality is quite lacking. I remember it was quite bad even back in the 80s with my colour tv, but I wonder if there's something I can do about it. There are some videos on Youtube of guys with VICs who get a very nice clean output on their TVs.
I'm very grateful for any tips!
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: SVIDEO vs SCART

Post by tokra »

S-Video is definitely the way to go, but you have to make sure your output device actually supports it. Lot of newer TVs don't. Either way, even doing the S-Video-mod and then converting that signal back to composite gives a better quality than the composite-signal the VIC originally produces.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Also, scart is just a physical cabling standard.

SCART can carry RGB, s-video and composite signals to suitably wired monitors.
naujoks
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by naujoks »

Thank you for your thoughts!
Would replacing the capacitors with new ones also have a chance of improving the picture?
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

naujoks wrote:Thank you for your thoughts!
Would replacing the capacitors with new ones also have a chance of improving the picture?
No, it would not.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

naujoks wrote:What's your opinion on the video quality you're getting with the svideo mod compared to a SCART adapter output.
Currently I have the SCART cable, as my soldering skills are lacking, but the picture quality is quite lacking. I remember it was quite bad even back in the 80s with my colour tv, but I wonder if there's something I can do about it. There are some videos on Youtube of guys with VICs who get a very nice clean output on their TVs.
I'm very grateful for any tips!
You don't have to be great at soldering. Post a pic of your VIC-I chip and we will guide you through it.