VIC-20 in the movie, John Wick: Chapter 2

Discuss anything related to the VIC
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

VIC-20 in the movie, John Wick: Chapter 2

Post by RobertBe »

One of my Commodore contacts on Facebook told me that the VIC-20 was appearing in the new movie, "John Wick: Chapter 2". He even joked, calling the machine a Wick-20. :) So, I had to go to the cinema and verify this information. I saw the movie, and there was a retro-communications center, complete with corded, dial telephones; operator-controlled, telephone switchboards; upright, manual typewriters; pneumatic message tubes, and a VIC-20!

The first appearance of the VIC happens at about 1 hour, 12 minutes into the movie. It appears for a second or two -- a close-up of the full computer with fingers hitting the keys. The next appearance happens near the movie's end at 1 hour, 53 minutes. First, a close-up shot of fingers typing on its keyboard, then a shot of the monitor (which looked like a green screen or black-and-white monochrome monitor... hey, the shot was only a second or two and so, it was difficult to study it), and then a final close-up of the RETURN key with a finger pressing it. On the screen were supposed to be John Wick's accounts being cancelled/deleted. The background was dark with the information being typed into the lighter foreground (inverse). The font and blanks where the information was being inputted were large, but the shot was so brief, I couldn't tell if the moviemakers were using the VIC's native resolution (maybe another computer was used to display the info).

With repeated viewings of the movie, another user could be more exact on what was shown. Of course, when the DVD, Blu-ray, and digital file become public, then you freeze the exact shots and add/correct to what I wrote here.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
June 10-11 Pacific Commodore Expo NW -
http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex
July 29-30 Commodore Vegas Expo v13 -
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex