VIC20, its graphics, features

Discuss anything related to the VIC
MIRKOSOFT
Vic 20 Newbie

VIC20, its graphics, features

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

Hi!

I'm here new. I'm really 128er and TED Series fan, M65 user.
Few weeks ago I bought MiST FPGA and downloaded VIC20 core - I know, everybody of you can tell "That's not VIC20!" - yes, true, but before this I knew about VIC20 near nothing.
Experiments uncovering me VIC20 features, never known graphic possibilities and other. It makes for me VIC20 like it is on adverts "friendly computer".
I found also anything unbelievable - VIN20 GUI for VIC20... Yes, VIC can graphics...
VIC20 core allows load PRG files and mount CRT images only.
For this reason I'm searching for these CRT:
Basic V4
Basic V5
JiffYDOS
Minigrafik

Especially Minigrafik for Mandelbrot test.
I created blog about Mandelbrot tests between Commodore computers (http://cbmandelbrot.blogspot.sk) and found Basic program for VIC20 which I adjusted to compare with other computers. But this program requires Minigrafik.
I can load and run Minigrafik and then load Basic program, but there is other starting address and its behavior is different in two ways:
1. When I paste program to VICE emulator without loaded Minigrafik and save it - then is program in Minigrafik on MiST core invisible.
2. When I paste program to VICE emulator with loaded and running Minigrafik and save it - then program displays mismatch at list and syntax errors at start on MiST core.

So, no way, only Minigrafik CRT image...
If exist please write link, I do mandelbrot test and it will be possible to compare to others.

Thank you for all.
Miro
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: VIC20, its graphics, features

Post by Bobbi »

TOSEC has the cartridge images you are looking for.

https://archive.org/details/Commodore_V ... 2012_04_23
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Miro,

there's no *.crt image of MINIGRAFIK, only the *.prg file like it's distributed on, say, the MG batch suite.

When run, the extension installs itself, allocates the graphic memory and exits to the start-up message of BASIC, with correspondingly less bytes free (and a changed start of BASIC). Alternatively, it is possible to use a boot loader, which automatically first loads in MG and initialises it without returning to the start-up screen: rather the boot loader then proceeds to load a client program which uses MG. In the MG batch suite, the program MAKEBOOT writes such a boot loader to disk.

I do not intend to change the distribution form of MG. When there are several client programs on disk (or possibly, a PC-hosted directory with VDrive in VICE, or a directory on a SD-Card with a SD2IEC), only one copy of MG is needed. If MG was statically linked into (read: buried within) all executables that use it, that'd waste a lot of space and make MG inaccessible for potentially interested new users.

Even _if_ I was inclined to do it, it would only cure one single case of a significant shortcoming of the MiST VIC-20 core as is: not all programs/games/tools are one-filers, and any VIC-20 replica worth its salt ought at least provide access to the file system in a similar, CBM DOS compatible, way as VDrive of VICE or SD2IEC devices do. Just being able to run a single *.prg file isn't sufficient.

Greetings,

Michael
MIRKOSOFT
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

Sure single file apps are less commonly and current core supports only PRG and CRT.
This was reason for searching CRT of Minigrafik.

But in world of 128 or 64 is possible to create CRT from simple ML program.
Is it possible also on VIC20?

C64 and C16 core supporting 1541 diskdrive (in my eyes worst of all Commodore drives). But only in read only mode.
I can write to disks in emulator and then try it on VIC20 in MiST - the same process I'm using with Mega 65 on my Nexys4DDR.
So, only waiting for drive support helps.

Thank you very much for link.
Miro
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

MIRKOSOFT wrote:But in world of 128 or 64 is possible to create CRT from simple ML program.
Is it possible also on VIC20?
In the world of C128 and C64, there is a very wide variety of cartridges with complex and specific hardware inside. Hence the necessity to have a file format which describes this hardware. There is no such thing on the VIC-20.

However, even in this file format, different hardwares are simply referred as "CRT_ID 0 to 60", there is no actual detailed description of the hardware needing emulation in the CRT file. See http://ar.c64.org/wiki/CRT_ID

Of course the configuration these ID represent are completely irrelevant on the VIC-20 because the computer's hardware is very different.

On the VIC, almost all game cartridges first use the BLK5 area ($A000-$BFFF) then, if 8k of space isn't enough they will then use BLK1 or BLK3.

Utility cartridges mostly use BLK3. Scott Adams text games use BLK2 and BLK3.

While the CRT files encapsulates one or more binary images along with other data, cartridge files for the VIC only include the binary data in a .bin or .prg file along with the information regarding the address at which this information should be presented either to a real VIC-20 or "attached" to an emulator.

.prg files are 2 bytes longer because the information relative to the address is present in the first 2 bytes.
Be normal.
tonyrocks
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by tonyrocks »

Hey Miro! Glad to see you over here :)