Just posting to say hi

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Just posting to say hi

Post by Bobbi »

Hi folks,

I just joined Denial after lurking here for a while. My eyesight is not so good as it was, so I am returning to 22 column computing!! An Ebay package is on its way to me :) I am excited like an 11 year old all over again!

I had a VIC20 back in 1982 or so. It was finally replaced by a used Apple II in 1986 (and sadly I sold it to raise the money for the Apple II). I remember many happy hours with Scott Adams adventures and playing with VICMON. I guess I have the VIC20 to thank for kicking off my career as a Software Engineer ... 35 years now and counting!

I am thinking to get my 6502 skills back in shape and maybe write a small arcade game or demo of some sort. Actually I am already tinkering a bit using VICMON under Vice. Once I get to real coding though I think I will probably try to assemble on Linux to create a PRG I can load in Vice and debug in VICMON. I will of course migrate to the real hardware eventually, but for day to day development Vice is convenient. I guess I should download and compile cc65 (to use the assembler, not the C compiler.) Any hints and tips?

Other things I am keen to tinker with are SDIEC and the WiModem.

I am seriously awed by some of the expertise on this board. Please exclude my newbieness!!

Greetings from Toronto, Canada!
Schema
factor

Re: Just posting to say hi

Post by Schema »

Hello fellow Torontonian!

Are you aware of TPUG, the Toronto PET Users Group? (http://www.tpug.ca/) We still meet every month and have the big World of Commodore show in December (3-4 this year).

Plenty of VIC fans and expertise in Toronto.

Next meeting is next Thursday actually, October 20th. Directions are on the website. Come out and say hi!
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

Pleased to meet fellow Torontonians! I may have to come out to a TPUG meeting. I have a colleague at work who has a Pet 2001 ... I am trying to encourage him to get it out of storage :)
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

Welcome.

It's great to have another programmer back on the scene. Some great new stuff has been produced by members here.

No pressure but I look forward to seeing what you can come up with using your experience as software engineer.

Glad to have you onboard. :D
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

I will probably try to assemble on Linux to create a PRG I can load in Vice and debug in VICMON
I can only advise to use the built in VICE-monitor for debugging. You can set watchpoints and more in there. Also it display the current raster-beam-position and so on. Debugging on the live-system is a pain compared.

You should try the CBMprg Studio at http://www.ajordison.co.uk for programming
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

I am just experimenting with the Vice monitor right now. I have been able to assemble a little program using the 'xa65' assembler on Linux, load it into Vice and run it. Fun times!!
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

Debugging is overrated

:D
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Hello Bobbi, welcome back to the future :) and greetings from Italy! Have fun with your 3583 bytes free!
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

I have just written 232 bytes of assembly. 3351 bytes to go ;)
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Way to go!

Greetings from Norway by the way. :)
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

Hej san! I visit Sweden from time to time on work.

I am up to 539 bytes of code now, mostly just trying stuff out and writing some utility code to plot on the screen, hook IRQ, set up UDGs etc. Now I guess I have to decide what to turn it into!

Incidentally, I am using the xa65 assembler on Linux and testing in Vice (waiting for my real Vic-20 to arrive from Ebay!).