Correct startup sequence

Discuss anything related to the VIC
orion70
VICtalian

Correct startup sequence

Post by orion70 »

I read around about extra-current given by the VIC to external expansions, peripherals, etc., at switch off. Wonder if it can also happen the other way around, i.e., peripherals giving extra-shock to the VIC mobo. So I'm asking, once and for all (sorry if this has been debated 1000 times before, but I didn't found relevant info in the forum): what is the correct sequence at startup in turning on all the machines? Is the power-off sequence exactly the opposite?

I have a VIC - 'course :mrgreen: - attached to the Arfon Micro expander, monitor, 1541 II drive, and printer. Manosoft Princess also, but it doesn't count as it's not powered independently.

TIA :)
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Correct startup sequence

Post by Mike »

Doesn't really matter.

Something along this matter had been discussed some time ago in the thread 'Is there any danger in booting a VIC from a power strip?'.

The talk about 'extra-current/shock' between VIC and peripherals is mainly an old wives' tale. What's really important is, that all signal cables are properly connected from computer to disk, monitor, etc. before any of them is connected to the mains and then switched on.

In certain cases, a disk drive might errorneously send a reset signal to the VIC-20, when it's switched on after the VIC-20. In that case, the VIC-20 might inadvertently be resetted. That 'bug' was even present in the first mainboard revision of the C64 (and duly, there were some IEC port reset switches around, which exploited this bug). Later C64 revisions added a diode in the reset line, so the C64 could still reset the drive(s) after its power on but not the other way around.

This behaviour of the reset line is, in any case, just a matter of inconvenience, but does pose no harm to the electronics.
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Correct startup sequence

Post by orion70 »

Total freedom then :). Thank you Mike.