Denial looks different!!!

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Denial looks different!!!

Post by Jeff-20 »

... Did you notice it? Denial looks different.

Pretty ugly, right?

Well, I am just playing around to illustrate a point. I started this site almost two years ago with absolutely no knowledge of web page construction. I've really enjoyed all the topics and discussions, but I am feeling frustrated. I haven't been able to expand and make this the great site I know it could be.

I asking for input. I know you could do better than this, right? Well, if any of you have spare time, I'd like for you to contribute any HTML pages or images you'd like to the site. I had a chance to look at the TI-99 webpages, and I was jealous!

We have a large group. I think it might be cool to even compile existing VIC 20 pages into one big site. I am willing to host it. Or we could establish a really good network of links. I don't know. What ideas do you have?

It'll be fun to make Denial one of those MEGA sites with all sorts of info and resource. Just the forum alone is priceless to me. Give me some ideas to make it better.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
martin_f
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by martin_f »

Wow ... very different.

I (Aswell as many others no doubt) shall put my thinking cap on.

Martin
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

i kind of like this 'new look' and i kind of hate it....

we've definitely got community...

i'm pretty busy with my own web projects but for any application development to go on there needs to be a more specific vision

Do you want the users to come online and create reviews of software/games complete with box/manual scans & .TAP/ROM images? People to submit whatever vintage VIC propoganda they can find?
And then organize it all in a neat, navigatable site.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

My first thoughts were: Ugh, something had happened here. :shock: Let me guess - it's Denial's second (?) birthday. :idea:

At least the design isn't too much overloaded with colours. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Michael
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Cool update.. 8)

Now I know.. Jeff is 5 years old.. :D

:P
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Dunno about how to get more content or collect the community, but I'll definitely be interested in making a more .. appropriate board layout.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i sure love the background!

and i was surprised how quick i adapted to the different button layout etc..
Do you want the users to come online and create reviews of software/games complete with box/manual scans & .TAP/ROM images? People to submit whatever vintage VIC propoganda they can find?
i like these ideas.

what about having a list of what people are up to or what people would like to get a hold of, kind of like an ongoing project list.

IIRC, we previously discussed getting scans in of manuals and books, and other archiving oriented tasks, but that's as far as it went.

i'm willing to help out for sure.

chris
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Ow my head!!!!!

One quick comment, I'm a lot less comfortable reading Denial at work now, even though the new design, is, uh, striking.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I used Firefox to "Block all images from sleepingelephant.com"...much better :wink:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I just installed phpBB2 on my own domain, only to experiement with styles.. :wink:
Anders Carlsson

6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

It would be great to have content added to site to make it a Vic-20 resource center.

The revised graphics are somewhat less than appealing.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I'm far from finished - actually, I just begun - but how do you like this so far?

http://anders.sfks.se/phpBB2/index.php

I just remembered Jeff is colour blind, so he may not get so much out from that link. Basically, I tried to mimic the brown-whiteish background with cyan border and blue text. I made the side borders at least 50 pixels wide - PAL users may want 150 pixels though. :wink:

It may be possible to use different text colours inside messages vs the text on the main page. The link colours probably should be aligned to the same blue as the text, although some people dislike when you can't distinguish links and other elements. The header colours and style should also be considered. Technically, it is possible to reprogram the whole phpBB layout part by part, if one knows what you want to achieve.

Of course there should be new graphics instead of the standard ones.
Anders Carlsson

Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

Neat idea, and I kinda like the new design. After the initial "What the !?!!" that is.

Personally, I think simple is best, and since the VIC is a color computer the site should be colorful.

What do you think of something like this for the title logo? I just copied the logo above to get the dimensions for the image.

Unless this is universally hated, I'll try to follow up with a background image that matches it.
Alan
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Shouldn't the stripes be diagonal, as in the famous VIC= logotype?
Anders Carlsson

Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

carlsson wrote:Shouldn't the stripes be diagonal, as in the famous VIC= logotype?
No. :D

Actually, I could try it that way, but I think the colors running the same direction as the text is more readable. I'll experiment.
Alan