Setup improved and a new printer :)

Discuss anything related to the VIC
TNT
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Setup improved and a new printer :)

Post by TNT »

orion70 wrote:I read that Infocom adventures can output the story script to a printer with the simple command ">script".
Tried it immediately with TNT's incarnation in VICE with a virtual printer as device #4, but it gave an internal error:
I don't have my source code here now, but I remember not implementing printer output to save some memory. Instead of returning internal error it should just ignore the command though. That was the case when I tested the commands, but that was early on during the development so some later interpreter change may well have broken it.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Bad news for orion70 and his new little printer in any case! :(
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thanks TNT, I won't even try this at home :?
Same problem with the other Infocom adaptation (i.e., the buggy Pet Food one). It hangs in VICE; no error message, but it freezes after RETURN is pressed (light on due to direct access):
Maybe I'll try with this on the real VIC instead.
TNT
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TNT »

TNT wrote:I don't have my source code here now, but I remember not implementing printer output to save some memory. Instead of returning internal error it should just ignore the command though.
At some point I cut down VAR opcodes ($e0-$ff, 224-255)* dispatcher table down to 12 entries in the V3 interpreter. That is clearly a bug as there are three more V3 opcodes in that range. That may get fixed some day if I find a moment or two to add EF3/UltiMem support.

* http://inform-fiction.org/zmachine/stan ... 4.html#VAR
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

That would be great, thanks in advance TNT :)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

In the meantime, I found this cover of Electronics and Computing Monthly, a UK magazine, apparently reviewing the AM VIC expander in the Apr. 1982 issue. No results in searching scanned pages of the magazine - anyone has the paper, or can provide me with a link? TIA.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

TNT wrote:
TNT wrote:I don't have my source code here now, but I remember not implementing printer output to save some memory. Instead of returning internal error it should just ignore the command though.
At some point I cut down VAR opcodes ($e0-$ff, 224-255)* dispatcher table down to 12 entries in the V3 interpreter. That is clearly a bug as there are three more V3 opcodes in that range. That may get fixed some day if I find a moment or two to add EF3/UltiMem support.

* http://inform-fiction.org/zmachine/stan ... 4.html#VAR
Bumpity bump. TNT, any news about implementing printer output in your port of Infocom text adventures?
..and the long shot, anyone out there has this issue of Electronics and Computing Monthly?
TIA :)

P.S. Found a two-pages review of the AM Expander in vol.1, issue 4 of VIC Computing (download the review HERE, 1.88 Mb).