Comprehensive KERNAL documentation

Discuss anything related to the VIC
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Comprehensive KERNAL documentation

Post by srowe »

Is anyone aware of good, in depth material that explains the KERNAL routines, particularly I/O? I've accumulated quite an understanding recently and would consider writing it down if it hasn't already been done.

I'm aware of the Programmers Ref, VIC Revealed, etc. While they have their good points they don't always contain enough detail for a programmer (and have a number of errors/omissions).
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Comprehensive KERNAL documentation

Post by majikeyric »

maybe that full documented VIC20 ROM disassembly ? http://www.mdawson.net/vic20chrome/vic2 ... sembly.txt
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

It is, and I've enhanced and expanded this very useful listing. But it can't clearly explain in prose the concept of logical files or what input from device 3 means or what setting the top bit in a secondary address does. As a user of the KERNAL you not only need to know which registers to set but also how to include them in the structure of your programs.

What I have in mind is more of a 'how to' document that complements the disassembly.
malcontent
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by malcontent »

Check out Compute's Vic-20/C64 Toolkit: Kernal

It's follows the ML step by step, basically it would be the comments to the dissassembly, but the ROM couldn't be published for copyright reasons.

The Basic version of that book helped immensely with me understanding the floating point routines.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I had downloaded that book from Bombjack but not got around to reading it. It does have a lot of useful information but I find the layout and the fact it covers both VIC & C64 a bit hard to read.

I still think I'll try and put together a document that summarizes KERNAL concepts if only for my own reference.