VIC-20 interest at the Bay Area Maker Faire 2016

Discuss anything related to the VIC
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

VIC-20 interest at the Bay Area Maker Faire 2016

Post by RobertBe »

Greetings from San Mateo, California and the Bay Area Maker Faire 2016! Like last year, attendance should be around 100,000!

Hundreds have come through our booth, the Vintage Computer Festivalers exhibit, in order to take photos, gawk at, and play with the computers we have on display. I myself brought a Commodore VIC-20, an Amiga 1200, and a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A (that last one was due to the crowd demanding that one should be here this year).

Several attendees have asked where the C64 was. I had to tell them that we had a C128 last year at the show, but because of the 35th anniversary of the VIC-20, it was time to give the VIC some love. :) The attendees asked about the VIC-20 in general, how they still have or how they used to have a VIC-20, and how to repair them. I pointed them to Ray Carlsen for advice on anything from board problems to power supply problems.

All of them were delighted that the VIC was there, telling their significant other and/or their children and/or their friends that the VIC was their first computer. Others asked how to get one again while others looked at the items on display -- VIC cartridges, the datasette, the cassette programs, the 24K ram expander, the cartridge expansion board -- all with happy smiles on their faces, remembering how computing used to be. They were very grateful that we were exhibiting such computer goodness.

Next to the VIC, I had a sheet of paper listing the specifications of the machine. For those who took the time to read it, they grinned as they compared the VIC's power to today's devices.

On the VIC I had the Behr-Bonz cart 2015 and an old version of the uIEC/SD. The most popular games that the attendees played -- Aggressor, Ms. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Pulse. Heh, I loved telling them that Pulse was a new game from November, 2015. The surprised look on their faces was priceless. :) They couldn't believe that such a sophisticated game was running on an unexpanded VIC. I told them that new games were still being developed for the VIC.

Last day at the show,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: VIC-20 interest at the Bay Area Maker Faire 2016

Post by Muzz73 »

Nice! Were you running your modded VIC with the s-video? That thing looks great! I'm officially envious and need to have Ray do that to mine... 8)
BCNU,
Louis
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Muzz73 wrote:Were you running your modded VIC with the s-video?
Yes! The VIC-20CR came through the long weekend in great shape. It was running on Ray Carlsen's deluxe power supply which didn't even get warm. As mentioned in another post, besides the JiffyDOS and reset switch, the VIC had Carlsen's Computer Saver built into it, a heat-sinked Rockwell R65C02 CPU, and the Carlsen's s-video mod. With that s-video mode, the on-screen colors were extremely saturated on the Magnavox NTSC/PAL LCD monitor I used (no, I didn't bring the heavy Sony GVM-1311Q NTSC/PAL CRT monitor). I am very pleased with the s-video mod.

I have an early VIC-20 (with PET keyboard) that needs rebuilding, and I'm considering having Ray mod that one with s-video.

On a side note, I had a couple of attendees come up to me and ask what other mods I had done to the VIC at Maker Faire. I asked for clarification. They wanted to know if I was using extra RAM or even if I had a more modern machine hiding inside the VIC casing. I said no to both questions, and they were amazed that the VIC ran smoothly with such complex-looking games such as Pulse.
That thing looks great!
Thanks! Expect photos of our Maker Faire exhibit posted in the next week or two.

Still tired after spending 10-11 hours each day at Maker Faire,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
July 30-31 Commodore Vegas Expo v12 -
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Does anybody have an idea what the cost is to have this S-Video Mod done? I am very interested in getting it done also.
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

8-bit Commodore guru and all around good guy Ray Carlsen can mod your monitor port to do it.

There is also a user on this forum who makes a drop-in upgrade if you want to leave your monitor port stock.
BCNU,
Louis