Newbie VIC-20 questions

Discuss anything related to the VIC
lgb
Vic 20 Drifter

Newbie VIC-20 questions

Post by lgb »

Sorry, if it's off-topic, or already answered somewhere where I didn't try to find on the forum ... I'm new to the VIC-20, but I'm interested in almost every 8 bit machines, even after their golden age :) Now, at my parent's house, I've discovered that I actually *own* a VIC-20 I couldn't even remembered before! Oh well, what a shame. Also, I have a VIC-20 as a board only, no keyboard or case. Honestly, I can't remember when I got these. Another shame OK :) But the questions now:

Can I use a C64 power supply to try these sweet machines? And another question: is the video connector has the same pinout as with C64, so I can use the very same composite video cable as I can use with the C64?

Thanks a lot in advance!

mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Newbie VIC-20 questions

Post by mrr19121970 »

You can use a 5vDC/9vAC C64 PSU on the VIC20, but not the other way around. The VIC20 PSU has a lower rating on the 5vDC which will break the PSU and then the C64. Assuming you have a 5 PIN DIN composite cable for the C64, then yes you can use this on the VIC20. You need to do a mod to get S-Video. You can use any IEC device on your VIC20 too (1541, SD2IEC or even 1541UK)

I am not sure why you posted a pic of a VIC20 and said you don't have a keyboard or case. You can use C64 keyboard and case, but the cartridge post will not be properly accessible.
lgb
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by lgb »

mrr19121970 wrote:You can use a 5vDC/9vAC C64 PSU on the VIC20, but not the other way around. The VIC20 PSU has a lower rating on the 5vDC which will break the PSU and then the C64. Assuming you have a 5 PIN DIN composite cable for the C64, then yes you can use this on the VIC20. You need to do a mod to get S-Video. You can use any IEC device on your VIC20 too (1541, SD2IEC or even 1541UK)
Ok, nice to hear, thank you very much for the reply.
I am not sure why you posted a pic of a VIC20 and said you don't have a keyboard or case. You can use C64 keyboard and case, but the cartridge post will not be properly accessible.
Oh well! Sorry! I've forgot to mention! This day was the day of surprises! It turned out that I *have* a VIC-20 board _AND_ a "full" VIC-20 *too*! I feel quite lucky :) Several years ago I managed to get many quite interesting items but I have to move to another city with a small flat only. So I had no room, and most of my collection left at my parents house without a better solution ... Today I had chance to check things out what actually I had. Maybe the board-only version is ideal for some kind of hardware hack project, I wouldn't hurt this cased version too much, it's so nice :) Well, a bit yellowish, but otherwise I find that quite sweet stuff in its original form. So what you see on the photo, it's actually my VIC-20, indeed.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

You need to retr0bright. Checkout my posting on 1st sunny day this year. You'll have a machine as good as new.

Your 'board only' VIC20, you should add sockets to all ICs. This way you have a nice 'test machine' for the future
lgb
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by lgb »

mrr19121970 wrote:You need to retr0bright. Checkout my posting on 1st sunny day this year. You'll have a machine as good as new.

Your 'board only' VIC20, you should add sockets to all ICs. This way you have a nice 'test machine' for the future
Indeed that's my plan too at least with some parts as a starting point :) Can you suggest though some sane way to de-soldering 40 pin ICs in a nice way (well, even a 8 pins DIP socketed IC is cannot be unsoldered too easily in my opinion)? Honestly I am not so handy with this work (and I don't have fancy tools other than soldering iron and basic stuffs for daily simple soldering works), my usual habit is to cut IC pins, then de-soldering the remaining "wires" after the cut. However I would hate myself to basically destroy the old components (it's kinda OK with already known not to work parts though ... or cheap things like 74LS... etc components), even if I have - well most of them - as spare ones.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »