Discuss anything related to the VIC
Aturnwald
Vic 20 Amateur

found a speak cardridge for the vic-20

Post by Aturnwald »

Hello I found this :

ImageImageImage

also here is the text of the original post :

Protecto Enterprizes / PPP Speakeasy-C Files (Directory) - Show off your Votrax-based (SC-01-A) voice synthesizer with these simple, sample programs and related documents. "Shut your face," I found somewhere else, but, "VIC Tongues," is an original creation of mine. You can now listen to Mr. T say, "I pity the fool!" (mp3), a program by Larry Cameron.

Some comments on VIC Tongues: Sending random phonemes to the Votrax can give VIC his own language. You can listen for hidden messages amongst his endless babble. Is it inspired? If you are lonely he can be that loyal companion who never shuts up!

Code:

220 PRINT"{CLR}{RVS ON}VIC TONGUES"
230 A%=RND(1)*63
250 POKE38912,A%
260 IFPEEK(38912)<128THEN260
270 GOTO230

The Protecto Enterprizes VIC-20 Voice Synthesizer is actually a 1983 Personal Peripheral Products (PPP) Speakeasy. As far as I can tell this information is not available anywhere else online today. Speakeasy is a voice synthesizer designed to allow voice to be added to adventure and cartridge games on the VIC-20. It comes in a cartridge that plugs into the VIC's expansion port. These models are self-amplified, requiring only an external speaker be connected to the RCA phono jack in the rear. The synthesizer can be programmed from BASIC or machine language by POKE-ing to only one address. The package includes an editor that allows the user to append, insert, and delete phonemes in strings to create phrases and sentences. The 256 phoneme buffer can be stored on tape or disk. The Speakeasy cartridge, including the editor tape, originally sold for $79. An optional Speaker Box and C64 Adapter were also available. There are two existing programs online that work with this unit:

1. Phoneme Editor.t.prg
2. Phoneme Speak.t.prg

HELP!! -- There is some missing software out there for BLK5 = $A000-$BFFF that adds command(s) to BASIC: Smoothtalker. Also missing are Gametalker and Terminaltalker. If you have one or more of these programs then please contact me at "rmelick650 at google dot com" so I can host them here for everyone to enjoy.

These manuals were added 3/6/2011. Thank you Paul D. for the find! I've scanned and uploaded to DLH's Commodore Archive.
1. Speakeasy Installation and Operations Manual v1.2.
2. Speakeasy Phoneme Editor Operating Instructions v1.

All the Votrax speech synthesizers owe their existence to the discrete speech synthesizer design created in 1970 by Richard T. Gagnon. In 1980, Votrax designed and manufactured an integrated circuit speech synthesizer called the SC-01/SC-01-A. This IC proved very popular in the third party market and was produced until at least 1984. Several ICs populate the SPEAKEASY-C board:

Votrax sc-O1-a p8143 5107c Speech Synthesizer (US Patent 4,433,210)
NSC 130c lm 386n-1 Low Voltage Audio Power Amplifier
NSC p227 dm7406n Hex Inverting Buffers with High Voltage Open-Collector Outputs
Mitsubishi m74ls75p811900 4-BIT D LATCH (temporary storage)
Mitsubishi m74ls27p812200 TRIPLE 3-INPUT NOR GATE

BYTE magazine published an article (Features, Feb. 1981, page 164) about the SC-01 by two Votrax Employees, and here is its phonetic speech dictionary.

The Protecto / Speakeasy expects decimal values (0 to 63) for the phonemes to be poked into 38912 ($9800). So, you need to update the Table 1 in the dictionary and number each line in decimal from 0 to 63. It is already in order. Just start at the first line "00 EH3 59 jacket" and number from each line from 0 to 63. The table continues on to the following page. You will use the decimal number to POKE instead of the hex number printed in the left column as the, "Phoneme Code." You can then say any word from pages 5-22 in the back of that dictionary by making the hex-to-decimal substitution for the phoneme codes shown in Table 1. For example:

"Shut your face."

Example phoneme programming sequence:
3E, 11, 32, 31, 2A, 3E, 29, 34, 34, 2B, 3E, 1D, 06, 21, 29, 1F, 3E

Protecto / Speakeasy ("POKE 38912") Sequence:
62, 17, 50, 49, 42, 62, 41, 52, 52, 43, 62, 29, 06, 33, 41, 31, 62

Code:

LOAD address $1001

220 PRINT"{DOWN}{RVSON}SPEAKING"
230 FORJ=1TO17:READA
250 POKE38912,A
260 IFPEEK(38912)<128THEN260
270 NEXTJ
280 POKE38912,63
300 DATA62,17,50,49,42,62,41,52,52,43,62,29,6,33,41,31,62

About:
Originally Protecto Enterprizes started with a computer called the Interact and then the ATF, followed by the VIC-20 and C64. They decided what they wanted to do is offer the consumer somebody they can talk to. It worked so well that Commodore used to refer people to Protecto Enterprizes from their own customer support lines. All of their sales people knew the equipment, they knew the product, and they knew what what was being sold. Protecto Enterprizes gained a pretty good reputation along those lines. When the VIC-20 first came out Protecto Enterprizes was working out of the basement of John Schelley's house (president and co-founder). They soon bought a location and quadrupled office space & phone lines, and doubled warehouse space as well. The company strategy was to focus on customer service. They had many, many repeat customers. A second part of the strategy was fast shipping and service (the only computer company in the United States where you could do impulse buying by phone at the time). The final part of the strategy was a fifteen-day, "free trial" policy. No matter what, you could always send stuff back and get a full refund within forty-eight hours. Repair work was handled by just shipping out another new unit -- for free if in warranty or charging a small fee if out of warranty. They sometimes doubled the warranty to 180 days. • LOWEST PRICES • 15 DAY FREE TRIAL • 90 DAY FREE REPLACEMENT WARRANTY • BEST SERVICE IN U.S.A. • ONE DAY EXPRESS MAIL • OVER 500 PROGRAMS • FREE CATALOGS -- Protecto Enterprizes ("We Love Our Customers"), Barrington, Illinois.

does anyone know, where I can download the rom ?

cheers Toni

PS: I hope you can read the post from me, and see all the picture
.....42, what else ???
Aturnwald
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: found a speak cardridge for the vic-20

Post by Aturnwald »

PS: Here is the complete side, where I get the post : http://www.geocities.ws/cbm/

cheerio Toni
.....42, what else ???
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

The Protecto voice synthesizer was recently discussed on the forum:

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =11&t=7790
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
Aturnwald
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Aturnwald »

Ahh, I see, do you have any idea, where I can download the complete rom img ?
.....42, what else ???