MegaCart.. Getting the ball rolling.

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Judge Drokk
Vic 20 Amateur

MegaCart.. Getting the ball rolling.

Post by Judge Drokk »

Has anyone recently ordered a Mega-Cart?

I'm close to getting a nice clean "daily use" VIC this month, maybe next week........ and the MegaCart would be the icing on the cake.

I'm aware of long wait times for production, shipping etc. I went through similar with the 1541-Ultimate II for the C64. Its part of the fun.

I just wondered if anyone could hazard a guess how long it should be from playing the original order and supplying delivery info to

receiving a confirmation email with instructions of "how to pay" etc.

So far its about 3 full days since i hit the "order now" button on this page....... http://www.mega-cart.com/order/

Thanks..
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: MegaCart.. Getting the ball rolling.

Post by beamrider »

you need to be thinking in terms of *years*, not days...
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

The waiting times have changed considerably over the 7 years it's been in production. My first order was May 2009 and it took about three months, the second was early 2011 and that one was about 8 months and the third was made in 2013. Still waiting for that one.

For now, you could do a lot worse than one of Eslapion's Behr Bonz multicarts. It costs about £40 shipped and has most of the games on the Mega-Cart that you would want to play.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

English Invader wrote:For now, you could do a lot worse than one of Eslapion's Behr Bonz multicarts. It costs about £40 shipped and has most of the games on the Mega-Cart that you would want to play.
I ship in 3 weeks... not years. :wink:
Be normal.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

English Invader wrote:For now, you could do a lot worse than one of Eslapion's Behr Bonz multicarts. It costs about £40 shipped...
Or buy the VIC-20 Multicart/Development Cart with 32 games (set 1 with arcade-style games or set 2 with Commodore-specific games). $30 US + shipping

http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/vic20/

Where did I put mine?
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

...or buy a 32+3K ram expansion and a SD2IEC and put ALL Vic-20 programs ever made on an SD card and use my vic menu with included disk turbo to navigate. SD2IEC also has the benefit of being a really smooth way of transfer files between the Vic and the modern world.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

I always wondered why given the demand they don't have a decent production run in China?
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

beamrider wrote:I always wondered why given the demand they don't have a decent production run in China?
The VIC will never have the mass appeal of the NES and Gameboy which are the main beneficiaries of China's slave labour (apart from us idle Westerners).

They made a great clone of the Gameboy Color BTW (GB Boy Colour) - Everdrive GB compatible with DS quality backlight and, as far as I can tell, it's 100% compatible apart from a few quirks in sound here and there.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Well you say that, but I believe Ultimem has had a production run in China I also recall someone mentioning getting an injection moulding made for cartridge cases.

Ultimem also looks worthy of consideration.
Judge Drokk
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Judge Drokk »

beamrider wrote:you need to be thinking in terms of *years*, not days...
I heard it takes a long time to get the item........ i just thought that the reply email from the

initial order (ie the one where u have to send your money to) would have come in a day or so.....

but getting the cartridge itsef would take a long time. Ive had no response from the initial click of the "order now" button.

Is this normal to click order..... give address........ wait 3 years for an answer?
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Judge Drokk wrote:
beamrider wrote:you need to be thinking in terms of *years*, not days...
I heard it takes a long time to get the item........ i just thought that the reply email from the

initial order (ie the one where u have to send your money to) would have come in a day or so.....

but getting the cartridge itsef would take a long time. Ive had no response from the initial click of the "order now" button.

Is this normal to click order..... give address........ wait 3 years for an answer?
Brian usually sends an e-mail to confirm receipt of your order within a few days. He won't ask for payment until he's ready to do the assembly work for your order.

He posts on here as 6502 dude so it might be an idea to send him a PM. I think he forgot my e-mail for my first order and I posted a similar enquiry here all those years ago.
Judge Drokk
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Judge Drokk »

He posts on here as 6502 dude so it might be an idea to send him a PM. I think he forgot my e-mail for my first order and I posted a similar enquiry here all those years ago.[/quote]

ThanX
Judge Drokk
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Judge Drokk »

Boray wrote:...or buy a 32+3K ram expansion and a SD2IEC and put ALL Vic-20 programs ever made on an SD card and use my vic menu with included disk turbo to navigate. SD2IEC also has the benefit of being a really smooth way of transfer files between the Vic and the modern world.
Thankful for the input.

I have got an sd2iec from "theFutureis8Bit" store that I use on my c64.

Using this on the Vic also would be a great solution it seems..

What kind of file types will this device handle on the Vic?

I'll of course be using a menu loader prog.

Is there a good place to find "All the Vic 20" programs ever made" all in one place? (PM if nessacesary)

There's lots of places to find collections... I just wondered if there was a "Best one" that I've not found.

If they're segregated into rom sizes that would be cool to (3k-8k-16k etc).

.... One last thing... As I'm a VIC NOOB... Who is about to get his first machine in about 3 days... (Model not yet decided)

Is there anything more/less/ desirable than a German VC-20 (without the "i as opposed to any other revision of the machine?

On the c64 some people will sell their granny to get a "silver label". Or an ALDI branded 64. Etc... I just wondered

If there was any such reason to favor one label over another in the VIC world, or is it mainly a split between

old style 2 pin power ow newer rainbow stripe.

ThanX chaps..
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Judge Drokk wrote: I have got an sd2iec from "theFutureis8Bit" store that I use on my c64.

Using this on the Vic also would be a great solution it seems..

What kind of file types will this device handle on the Vic?
The same as on the C64. I prefer normal folders and .prg files over .d64. And this is why: When you have entered a folder, and run a game and reset the machine, you can easily reload my browser with LOAD "//:S",8 and you will still be in the same folder. If you are inside a .d64 then you can't do that for some reason but you have to exit the d64 first (with OPEN15,8,16,"CD:arrowleft":CLOSE15 or press the reset butt on the SD2IEC, and then you have to enter the d64 again after loading the browser. So that's why.
Judge Drokk wrote: Is there a good place to find "All the Vic 20" programs ever made" all in one place? (PM if nessacesary)

There's lots of places to find collections... I just wondered if there was a "Best one" that I've not found.

Most old commercial games and other stuff:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/vic20/
The cart images (in .prg format with the correct loading address) are under /roms/

To run cart images you need a ram expansion.

Most new games:
Look in the software release threads here at denial:
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... m.php?f=15

Judge Drokk wrote:
Is there anything more/less/ desirable than a German VC-20 (without the "i as opposed to any other revision of the machine?

On the c64 some people will sell their granny to get a "silver label". Or an ALDI branded 64. Etc... I just wondered

If there was any such reason to favor one label over another in the VIC world, or is it mainly a split between

old style 2 pin power ow newer rainbow stripe.

ThanX chaps..
There is a number of different Vics. The big differences is the between the original 9V model and the CR model that uses the same type of PSU as the C64. I think most people prefer the old 9V model because it's older, and it often displays better graphics. The graphics of the 9V model is less grainy, and a little softer while the CR model is grainy but at the same time sharper and has brighter colors. The 9V model has parts of the PSU inside of the computer which means it runs a lot hotter, which isn't very good. There are also PAL/NTSC of course, and a number of different keyboards. The most common is the same as the C64 but brown F-keys. There is also one called Eurostyle with a different font on the keys, and there is the PET-keyboard, which is the most sought after I believe. There is also different badges. Most european 9V Vic-20s has a paper badge while the CR model is metal. The CR model's case is a little smaller and probably gets yellow more easily.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Judge Drokk wrote:What kind of file types will this device handle on the Vic?
You can use all types of files from the PC file system on the SD card directly, with LOAD, OPEN, etc. Furthermore, disk images like *.d64 files can be mounted with the CD command. The CD command also allows to navigate into subdirectories of the PC file system. The current menu loaders support the CD command as well.
Is there a good place to find "All the Vic 20" programs ever made" all in one place?
The ftp server at zimmers.net is a good starting point. Besides, you're not going to find a complete resource anytime soon, as new programs and games are made for the VIC-20 even nowadays. :)
zimmers has them sorted by RAM requirements.

Besides, the terminus "ROM" is console speak, and does apply to the VIC-20 only inthusfar ROM images of cartridges are involved. The majority of programs and games which are loaded routinely into the RAM of the computer are not ROMs!
A VIC-1001 with the original PCB perhaps. However, these where produced for NTSC country only, and most of them localised to Japan.