MegaCart.. Getting the ball rolling.

Discuss anything related to the VIC
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: MegaCart.. Getting the ball rolling.

Post by mrr19121970 »

If you want faster then buy from Ray. I guess I ordered sav64 and Ray's PSU on the same day. Ray's device was there after 6 days from USA. As soon as I'd PayPal'd him the cash he was finnishing off my PSU based on my requirements. I took a 2 cable C64-C128 model (not at the same time). We also discussed USB power connectors and 1541 connectors too. I decided against this. One thing I didn't request, but now wish I did was an on/off switch - no biggie as my PC extension has on-off switch.

I'm still waiting for my sav64 to be assembled and posted.
Judge Drokk
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Judge Drokk »

mrr19121970 wrote:If you want faster then buy from Ray. I guess I ordered sav64 and Ray's PSU on the same day. Ray's device was there after 6 days from USA. As soon as I'd PayPal'd him the cash he was finnishing off my PSU based on my requirements. I took a 2 cable C64-C128 model (not at the same time). We also discussed USB power connectors and 1541 connectors too. I decided against this. One thing I didn't request, but now wish I did was an on/off switch - no biggie as my PC extension has on-off switch.

I'm still waiting for my sav64 to be assembled and posted.

Thanks for the info..... yep..... speed is a great decinding factor....6 days from the states seems good..

.... and quality seems assured.

You mentioned an on/on switch... was this for the saver unit itself?

I'm expecting the VIC to arrive on either Friday or Monday. Economy shipping isnt the quickest.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

The psu itself is plugged in and on. To turn off you need to remove the cable from the psu or the socket from the wall. I would have liked a way to leave plugged in and off. Ray says it is off when it is not draining power.but the led is still on
Judge Drokk
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Judge Drokk »

mrr19121970 wrote:The psu itself is plugged in and on. To turn off you need to remove the cable from the psu or the socket from the wall. I would have liked a way to leave plugged in and off. Ray says it is off when it is not draining power.but the led is still on
I went for Ray's deluxe power supply with outputs to feed two C64 or VIC (CR) with power at the same time. Saver built in.

Can't wait for it to come.

:D
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Good news. You also asked for rocker switch to turn off too?
Judge Drokk
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Judge Drokk »

mrr19121970 wrote:Good news. You also asked for rocker switch to turn off too?

I didnt go for that as ive got a "remote control" for the plug socket..... i can turn off the power to the PowerPack from my chair.

(Lazy i know...... but it was oly £11 from Maplins)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/remote-contro ... oCOKvw_wcB

(The link is for a 3 pack)

Like yourself.. He "had it on the bench" within minutes of sorting out what i wanted.

Paypal'd him and i think it was shipped the day after.
fuzzybad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by fuzzybad »

akator wrote:I also ordered a MegaCart in 2013 and am still waiting for my turn in the queue.
Same here, I've been waiting at least since 2013 (or 2014, I forget). I did receive a confirmation mail last year, confirming that I would like a MegaCart, so apparently I'm in the queue.. :)
akator wrote:Definitely order a Behr Bonz. I bought one last year and it's a great purchase.
Seconded. For a while I played around with a memory expansion cart and loading cartridge images from an SD2IEC device; this worked but the Behr-Bonz cart is soooo much more convenient..
Judge Drokk
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Judge Drokk »

fuzzybad wrote:
akator wrote:I also ordered a MegaCart in 2013 and am still waiting for my turn in the queue.
Same here, I've been waiting at least since 2013 (or 2014, I forget). I did receive a confirmation mail last year, confirming that I would like a MegaCart, so apparently I'm in the queue.. :)
akator wrote:Definitely order a Behr Bonz. I bought one last year and it's a great purchase.
Seconded. For a while I played around with a memory expansion cart and loading cartridge images from an SD2IEC device; this worked but the Behr-Bonz cart is soooo much more convenient..
You can run cart images on a SD2IEC..? I thought it was just D64 and PRG.? what file type? Is there an equivalent to to c64s .T64 file type?.

I've got a Behr Bonz &. Ray's deluxe power supply ordered. Can't wait. :shock:
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

I think it's a shame this card is offered but never delivered... Would a clone of this be illegal? The chinamen could produce this in a split second 8)
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by Judge Drokk »

joshuadenmark wrote:I think it's a shame this card is offered but never delivered... Would a clone of this be illegal? The chinamen could produce this in a split second 8)
There is a "ROM" of the MegaCart availble i beleive. You can run it in the latest VICE, there is an option in Vice to open the Mega-Cart image.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

joshuadenmark wrote: Would a clone of this be illegal?
as the mega-cart itself could be considered illegal, that's a bit of a moot point
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

https://fierman.org/c64/CHAM20/megacart.rom

So it's been about 3 years or more since my 'order', and I never heard back. What would be needed to be done to get this working on a physical VIC20 ? Will The Ultimem do this ?
Last edited by mrr19121970 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

beamrider wrote:
joshuadenmark wrote: Would a clone of this be illegal?
as the mega-cart itself could be considered illegal, that's a bit of a moot point

no, not illegal... but without getting 6502dudes ok, not cool at all....
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

I'm not planning on cloning this, as I don't own one myself. I was just curious if a replica would be considered illegal.
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by groepaz »

no, not illegal
whats NOT illegal about all those pirated games? :roll:
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.