can I use my Vic as a keyboard for my pc?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
retromodder
Vic 20 Newbie

can I use my Vic as a keyboard for my pc?

Post by retromodder »

I recently came across the Keyrah 2, http://www.vesalia.de/e_keyrahv2.htm It allows you to connect the vics keyboard to a pc's usb port. While thats fine, id like to find out how I can accomplish this same feat, while actually USING the Vic's motherboard and key board. I just dont want to gut out my Vic, id rather repurpose it for fun.

I assume id have to build a usb adapter to connect to the cartridge port. As well as some form of programming. Though ive never coded in my life..

So does anyone have any ideas on this, on how it would be accomplished?
Last edited by retromodder on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good morning whiskey, Good morning night. The end of the world is in my sight."

Hank3 Karmageddon
orion70
VICtalian

Re: can I use my Vic as a keyboard for my pc?

Post by orion70 »

If I understand correctly your question, there's Retro Innovations' C=Key Keyboard Adapter, which,
depending on configuration, offers VIC-20, C64, C64C, SX64, C128, C128D, and C128DCR owners the ability to either use their CBM keyboard with a PS/2 supported PC, or utilize a PS/2 keyboard on their Commodore machine.
Though
USB keyboards with PS/2 converters may not work
retromodder
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by retromodder »

I'm merely looking for a way to use my Vic daily. Having the old girl set up as a functioning computer keyboard for my spare desktop might be fun. I just don't want to gut out the internals like some of these kits have you do, id rather have my vic fully functional and translate what I'm typing on it and send that out to my PC.

I fully understand that the Vics keyboard is limited in characters, but for 99% of what i will be doing, it will be fine. I just plan to connect this to my old 2004 desktop, which is in use JUST for storage of important documents, not even connected to the internet.
"Good morning whiskey, Good morning night. The end of the world is in my sight."

Hank3 Karmageddon
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

That's exactly what the adapter does!
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

you misunderstood what it does - its pretty much like keyrah, ie it doesnt use anything but the keyboard (which you connect directly to it)

using the VIC20 the way you describe is probably not trivial, and it would certainly involve some programming and building some custom hardware... eg you could take some microcontroller kit, have that act as a HID device, and then connect that to the userport.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

The VIC is waaaay too slow to be connected directly to a USB port and that would require a tremendous amount of programming.

However, i do believe there are software/hardware devices for handicapped people which allow the connection of a keyboard substitute on a serial port. At that point, all you'd need is an rs-232 interface on the user port and a termnial software running on the VIC.
Be normal.
retromodder
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by retromodder »

Darn, well I was hoping that this wouldnt be too difficult of a project. I was just looking for a good use for my Vic, something where it could be in use, near daily.

Hank3 Karmageddon
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

I agree - RS-232 would be the best solution - but you would need custom software for both the VIC and the PC - It would be a great project for someone with the applicable skill set to undertake.
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....