2 new vic music realeases

Discuss anything related to the VIC
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

2 new vic music realeases

Post by R'zo »

I have recently finished 2 chip music programs for the Vic. Both are written in Basic and both make "music" by peeking memory addresses for "note" creation instead of reading from data sets or arrays. I came across this technique when I was wanting to make title music for a game but had run out of the memory space to write more than a few lines. I enjoyed the results so much that I decided to write 2 musical albums based on this technique.

ENTER THE VIC : download
Requirements : Unexpanded Vic-20 or VICE emulation
Description : Music written strait from the memory map. The Basic program looks something like...

Code: Select all

fort=0to65535:x=peek(T):poke36875,x:nextt
...I built on to it, gave it graphics, track and volume controls and it became ENTER THE VIC.
It looks something like this.

I have not timed the completed product but I do know that it is well over an hour long and is easily one of the longest pieces if chip music ever written for the unexpanded vic.
There are of course areas long audio deserts where there is nothing going on inside the Vic in the regions being peeked where you'll here nothing but buzzing or hissing for a while (i.e. RAM expansion areas unless you have something else loaded up there.) I left these areas in because I wanted the program to be a full audio exploration of the Vics memory map. They can easily be skipped by skipping to the next track.

VICIOUS ACCESS : download
Requirements : Vic-20 with 8k+ RAM expansion or VICE emulation.
Description : Built off the same idea as Enter The Vic but takes the music from smaller chunks of the memory map and wraps it around more organized rhythmic structures. Vicious Access is approximately 30 minutes long and looks something like this...
Here is a mp3 sample of the album... INTERFACING BLOCKS

I plan on making an Audio CD featuring Basic Access, excerpts from Enter the Vic and the game title music from Carbon Eater X.
I am also thinking about making a cassette with an audio recording of Vicious Access on one side and a datasette recording of the program for the Vic-20 on the other side.

I hope you enjoy listening to these programs as much as I enjoyed writing them.

Much Love
R'zo
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
Schema
factor

Re: 2 new vic music realeases

Post by Schema »

Super cool!