Printing PDFs from bombjack's Website

Discuss anything related to the VIC
randolph.pickle
Vic 20 Amateur

Printing PDFs from bombjack's Website

Post by randolph.pickle »

Hi everyone.

There are some really great books on bombjack's website I'd love to have hard copies of at my VIC (like "Compute's Programming the VIC"), but I can't find original copies of them for sale online. I was wondering if anybody here in the U.S. has had any luck having bombjack's PDFs printed through an online printing service, and if so, could you recommend them to me. Printing them here at home with our crummy HP Photosmart 7350 would be too costly and time consuming.
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Printing PDFs from bombjack's Website

Post by orion70 »

In Italy, we have these "copy and press" shops, where you can get bound copies in good laser printer quality from virtually any file. Don't you have something similar where you live?
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I would imagine any professional copy shop would be reluctant to print the PDF of a scanned book as you don't own the copyright. There seems to be a printer in India that offers that kind of service

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD ... ompute+vic
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Aren't they already copyleft due to age and/or authors' waiver of copyright? Otherwise, they shouldn't be downloadable from well-known retro-computer sites...
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Aren't they already copyleft due to age and/or authors' waiver of copyright?
copyright typically lasts until 70 years after the death of the author - so no.
Otherwise, they shouldn't be downloadable from well-known retro-computer sites...
pretty much anything retrocomputer related that you can download (books, games, roms - homebrew stuff excluded obviously) is illegal technically - its just that noone gives a damn 8)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
randolph.pickle
Vic 20 Amateur

pretty much anything retrocomputer related that you can download (books, games, roms - homebrew stuff excluded obviously) is illegal technically - its just that noone gives a damn
That's what I was afraid of...
I would imagine any professional copy shop would be reluctant to print the PDF of a scanned book as you don't own the copyright. There seems to be a printer in India that offers that kind of service

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD ... ompute+vic
Thanks for the link. I'll give them a try.

EDIT: They have a quite a few VIC books listed, but not "Compute's Programming the VIC" :( .
Last edited by randolph.pickle on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
malcontent
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by malcontent »

srowe wrote:I would imagine any professional copy shop would be reluctant to print the PDF of a scanned book as you don't own the copyright.
Honestly it doesn't hurt to ask. Some treat it like developing film, none of my business what you want copied. Now if you wanted to print 100 of them that would certain raise an eyebrow. Are you near a university or college? Print shops there are used to printing think volumes and also might not bat an eye at an old computer manual.
randolph.pickle
Vic 20 Amateur

Honestly it doesn't hurt to ask. Some treat it like developing film, none of my business what you want copied. Now if you wanted to print 100 of them that would certain raise an eyebrow. Are you near a university or college? Print shops there are used to printing think volumes and also might not bat an eye at an old computer manual.
Actually I am. I'll put together a list of the few local print shops we have from Google and make some calls when I have the free time and see where that takes me.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

i would just go there and give them the pdf.... if they dont know what it is, they'll likely just do it.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
randolph.pickle
Vic 20 Amateur

i would just go there and give them the pdf.... if they dont know what it is, they'll likely just do it.
Well I did it with success. I found a whole in the wall near by that was willing to do the printing for me for a pretty decent price. I was apprehensive about asking as I thought I would get turned down immediately because of fear of copyright infringement, but I lucked out. Thanks for making the suggestion :) .

Also, thanks srowe. That company in India might not have everything, but they do have some titles I'd like to get my hands on.

Thanks for helping me out guys.