Vicious Synthesizers

Discuss anything related to the VIC
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Vicious Synthesizers

Post by R'zo »

Name: The Vicious Synth Collection
Author: R'zo
Requirements: Vic-20 with 8k expansion. (works with VICE)
Description: Contains 2 Synthesizers played on your Vic keyboard + instructions.
Release: 5/7/2015 (testing)
Programing Language: Basic

Download vsynth1.64 here: R'zo Files

The Simple Vicious gives you octave, key, volume, key repeat and sustain controls.

The Vicious Shaper provides attack, decay, and "release"* controls for sound shaping through volume modulation.

I am still testing this program before I put it up for download on other pages so I would appreciate any feed back.

Have fun

* the release refers to the position of the volume envelope and is not actually triggered when you release the key.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
malcontent
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Vicious Synthesizers

Post by malcontent »

I like the sounds I can make with it, but it's a little unresponsive to actually use like a keyboard.

If the programs were split up could it they fit on a 3k expanded vic or a unexpanded one?
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Vicious Synthesizers

Post by R'zo »

malcontent wrote:I like the sounds I can make with it, but it's a little unresponsive to actually use like a keyboard.
Yes the response time is slow. The Vic has to wait for one sound to end before it gets the next key. This is the downside of the Sound Shaper. It was designed more for slow rhythmic pulsating sounds that could be used for simple base lines or ambiance. It does not play for a good fast play lead synth that you can rip off solos with.
The Simple Synth has a pretty decent response if you a note length at 10 or lower. I find using the space bar toggle for sustain works really well in this mode as long as you hit it in an off beat just before you hit the note that you want the sustain to toggle on/ off for.
A faster reacting program could probably be written in ml. I am exploring basic with the Vic right now and am finding myself amazed at just how much can be done with so little. It will probably be at least another year before I start exploring ml and producing programs with it.
If the programs were split up could it they fit on a 3k expanded vic or a unexpanded one?
Simply splitting them up wouldn't do it. Both programs share the same data set and most of the same if then code and subroutines. The actual routines that separate the 2 programs are actually very small.
If I were to do just the Simple Synth on it's own, I could cut down a few subroutines and variable that are Shaper specific. If I were to also take out the keyshift option then I could cut the dataset in half. Then it might fit into unexpanded, most likely 3k.
I initially wanted to produce a program for unexpanded and I probably still will in the future. When I designed this program I ended up sacrificing the unexpanded for a larger variety of sound creation. I wanted to do something more than what is provided by all the type ins in all the books.

This Program is freeware and is left open source. The run stop button is left unlocked so you can simply hit it and type list to look at the basic. Feel more than free to mess around with it.
I've been thinking about producing a table of contents listing for routine location.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...