Contact - Joystick testing and benchmarking program

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Boray
Musical Smurf

Contact - Joystick testing and benchmarking program

Post by Boray »

Joystick testing and benchmarking system for Commodore Vic-20.

This program measures the contact ability of your joystick and gives it a benchmark score so that you easily can pick out your BEST joystick and hopefully improve on your game playing results.

Continue reading here:
http://www.boray.se/commodore/contact/
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Contact - Joystick testing and benchmarking program

Post by orion70 »

Thanks so much for this! Even if, I guess it won't improve my gameplay so much... 8)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Just ran the program in VICE and tested the following joysticks through Retro Designs' 9-pin to USB adaptor:

Mindscape Powerplayer
Zipstick
Atari CX-40
Commodore 1311

All joysticks scored 100 which suggests to me that the program needs a bit more refinement before it will be of much use. I was surprised that the program didn't test diagonals or any kind of rapid movement.

Having said that, I like the idea and think it has a lot of potential.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

VICE will always give you 100. You need a real Vic for this.

I thought of diagonals but there isn't really diagonals in a joystick. It will give you minus if your joystick is floppy enough to hit a diagonal hit by mistake though.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Cool!

I'll give it a try on my recently repaired "Competition Pro" next time I power up the Vic.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I actually planned to include all diagonals, but then, in the middle of it, I realized I had to redisign the whole machine language part from scratch to include them, and then I skipped it. (I used Hesmon on a real Vic). Maybe I will reconsider this in a new version some day, because in a Tac-2, a different part of the metal is in touch during diagonals. A problem could be though that the new ML wouldn't be fast enough to catch all contact bounces, I don't know.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Is there any chance of this being ported to the C64? Especially since there is a lot more uncertainty over the right joysticks to use in comparison to the VIC. It would also be great if support for VICE could be introduced as 9-pin to USB adaptors are becoming more common and people are becoming increasingly aware that a contemporary d-pad only gives you about 1/10 of the flexibility you need for home computer games.

I'll definitely give this program a try when I next set up the VIC, but at the moment there is no way that my Japanese Mega Drive + Everdrive combo is coming off the coffee table :lol: .
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Porting it to c64 and adding diagonals would actually be easier than adding diagonals on the vic-20 version. Because on the c64, all joystick moves are in one register byte. On the vic-20, it's in two.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

A C64 version is on the way. Brought a C128 out of the closet.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

A C64 version is up. On the same page:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Not really Vic-20 related, but v2.0 for C64 is ready! :D

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
JagMod
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by JagMod »

Very cool! 8)
Thanks for sharing.
JagMod