VICMIDI release date?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: VICMIDI release date?

Post by brain »

R'zo wrote:A few questions,

1. Are their any programs developed yet to run with this on the vic?
Yes, Leif Bloomquist has already written a MIDI app that receives MIDI events and drives the sound registers.

2. If yes on 1 will it be open for writing our own programs to run with it?
Yes.

3. Does it require any type of external midi interface outside of the cart or can I simply plug a midi board in, load program and go to town?
You need to a MIDI controller (keyboard, or I use my PC with a USB MIDI interface). Or, you can use a C64 with a MIDI interface on it :-)

4. Do you have any video demos of the cart in use?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPIZYUHOCnA
5. Do you plan on having these around for a while? (it may be a couple of months before I can get one)
Yep.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Thank you. I am very excited!
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Any news on this? I pre-ordered one and Jim Brain's sales page for it still says it will ship in mid-February 2016.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

My apologies. I was hoping to receive this week, but it is taking a bit longer than anticipated to finish the manufacturing. I will update the web site.

Jim
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

The first units shipped today.

All units have been firmware programmed, but I did not load the menu and/or the MIDI app at this point. I'll send a note out to the first buyers on specifics.

But, the unit is now in stock.

Jim
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I can't wait to try it out! :D
R'zo
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I may be doing something wrong but I am getting no reaction from the cart. Screen reads normal "3583 bytes free".
I've flipped every switch and pressed every button. I've tried loading vicmidi.prg as well as the other prg and asm files. At the most I get a screen full of junk.

The green and yellow leds don't seem to be working. The red led comes on and the soft reset switch works fine but that is all that I have got to work so far.
R'zo
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

My apologies. After I read your note, I looked in my sent folder as I had composed an email to all buyers, and noticed that it did not send.

Quick notes:

download vicmidi and vicmidi.prg from here:

http://go4retro.com/downloads/VICMIDI/

run vicmidi (from device 10, or change the device number in the program) and it will load the main app into the bank needed

If you want some games/utils on the unit:

downloads flash4file and flash.bin

load and run flash4file and it will store some apps in the flash (not the VICMIDI app, though, need to fix that)

Jim
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Awesome! Thank you. I will give it a try later.
R'zo
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Let me know
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Got it to work. I had to change the drive to 8 in the program. I couldn't get drive 10 to work with the sd2iec.

I am running a usb keyboard through a pc with an usb to midi cable going to the vic midi cart. The key reaction in great.
I have only had a little time to play around with it. I will give you more feed back when I can mess with it some more.
R'zo
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

I was lazy on the loader app. Someone should modify it to pull last drive number and use that (peek(198) or something like that) and I will update the file.

JIm
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

brain wrote:My apologies. After I read your note, I looked in my sent folder as I had composed an email to all buyers, and noticed that it did not send.
I got my VIC-MIDI today but I didn't get the e-mail you mentioned to "all buyers".
Anything I need to know? I noticed the download link above, but is there downloadable documentation for this anywhere? For instance, I don't really know what the full functions are, or even what the toggle switches do.

Thanks.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

brain wrote:I was lazy on the loader app. Someone should modify it to pull last drive number and use that (peek(198) or something like that) and I will update the file.

JIm
I just saved the altered file as vicmidi8 and load it for quick use.

I had more time to mess around. The keyboard action is smooth and quick. Channels 1-4 work beautifully. All other channels don't seem to be functioning. I am using a cheap casio keyboard that I bought at target over 6 years ago so it could possibly be the fault of my equipment. When I switch between channels with everything on I get a lot of noise and have to reset the vic and reload vicmidi. If I try to control the vic midi with a sequencer I get a lot of noise as well.

It is wonderful to finally get to hook a keyboard up to my vic and go to town. I have been having a lot of fun with this and can't wait to see what kind of programs people are going to come up with for this. I also can't wait until I can find the time to mess around with programming for it myself.

It would be nice if you could control the volume and bank settings via the vics keyboard. The controls on my usb board are pretty stripped down.
R'zo
alterus
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by alterus »

brain wrote:My apologies. After I read your note, I looked in my sent folder as I had composed an email to all buyers, and noticed that it did not send.

Quick notes:

download vicmidi and vicmidi.prg from here:

http://go4retro.com/downloads/VICMIDI/

run vicmidi (from device 10, or change the device number in the program) and it will load the main app into the bank needed

If you want some games/utils on the unit:

downloads flash4file and flash.bin

load and run flash4file and it will store some apps in the flash (not the VICMIDI app, though, need to fix that)

Jim

Ok, so I ran the vicmidi.prg and it just gives a READY....
Is it supposed to do something more?

Also how do I run flash4file and flash.bin? Flash.bin wont fit on a d64 disk for instance.... what are we supposed to do? Some proper instructions would be nice,...