Why the Vic-20 is number one

Discuss anything related to the VIC
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Maybe because the VIC-20 is the underdog or little brother (even though it's older) to the C64, this gets mirrored in the user community. Since the VIC-20 is more humble, this humility is reflected in the user community through a lack of sparring egos (although there are always exceptions!).

Maybe.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: Why the Vic-20 is number one

Post by Boray »

Boray wrote:• Vic-20 was Commodore’s first home computer.‎
• Vic-20 was the first computer with color graphics for under $300.‎
• Vic-20 was the first computer with color graphics for under $100.‎
• Vic-20 was Commodore’s first computer with color graphics.‎
• Vic-20 was the first computer to sell over one million units.‎
• Vic-20 has the fastest basic among Commodore 8 bit computers using a TV as monitor.‎
• Vic-20 was the first home computer with a dynamically sizable screen (?)‎
• Vic-20 was my first computer.‎

If I got any of this wrong, then feel free to correct me.
I came up with a few more:
• Vic-20 was Commodore’s first computer to display 16 different colors.
• Vic-20 was Commodore’s first computer with programmable character sets or graphics definable down to pixel level.
• Vic-20 was Commodore’s first computer with multicolor graphics.‎
• Vic-20 was Commodore’s first computer with 4 audio channels and the only CBM 8-bit computer with more than 3 audio channels.
• No other Commodore computer (including the Amiga) have more audio channels than the Vic-20.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
COREi64
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by COREi64 »

Thought of one more!

First computer to be AWESOME!

COREi64
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Won't make much of a difference but... the VIC-20 was the first Commodore computer equipped with a joystick port and - AFAIK - the first computer ever to have arcade games officially ported to it.
Be normal.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

How about the first Commodore computer with a cartridge port? Or are there any cartridges for the PET?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

The computer to introduce the IEC/Serial port found in all following 8 bit Commodores.
oracle_jedi
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by oracle_jedi »

Don't forget the most important reason of all:

The first computer to rock that sexy bread-bin look!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Yeah
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

The first Commodore computer with a default color scheme suitable for text reading and editing by ‎today’s standards, which is: Dark text on light background. The only other Commodores using ‎similar default colors are SX-64, Plus/4, C16, C116 and to a degree AmigaOS 2.0 and onward.‎
retromodder
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by retromodder »

I recall a Vic-20 on my dads desk at home. It was the first computer that I had any interaction with, thus it became special to me. He had shown me how to type out my name and display it :) I love this little machine, all the memories it brings back.

For the most part, the vintage computer community has been really nice and helpful. Willing to help teach and help others keep these beauties alive and functioning.
"Good morning whiskey, Good morning night. The end of the world is in my sight."

Hank3 Karmageddon
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

Boray wrote: • Vic-20 was the first home computer with a dynamically sizable screen (?)‎

If I got any of this wrong, then feel free to correct me.
Sorry, PET can dynamically configure it's 6545 CRTC chip to support different screen sizes. However, like the VIC, the firmware only supports printing at the default size. I suppose you could argue that the PET was not a "home" computer... ;-)

Oh, and the PET can also be programmed to display black text on green background. LOL.

Steve
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

So you can set a PET to any screen size like the VIC?
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

Boray wrote:So you can set a PET to any screen size like the VIC?
Yeah, that's a little bit odd because the 6845 (almost the same as the 6545) is also in the Amstrad CPC and CGA cards, and countless other machines, and I cannot remember being able to set the screen dimensions. The CPC could switch to a weird full–screen mode, tho.

EDIT: I DO remember and can see it right on my inner screen. The CPC could do it.
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

How about "• Vic-20 was the first home computer with a dynamically sizable color graphics screen" then? :D
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

pixel wrote:
Boray wrote:So you can set a PET to any screen size like the VIC?
Yeah, that's a little bit odd because the 6845 (almost the same as the 6545) is also in the Amstrad CPC and CGA cards, and countless other machines, and I cannot remember being able to set the screen dimensions. The CPC could switch to a weird full–screen mode, tho.

EDIT: I DO remember and can see it right on my inner screen. The CPC could do it.
The VIC can NOT set the screen to "any" size. It is limited to it's in-built parameters. Yes, you can adjust it's rows and columns by setting registers, but those registers have limitations. So for example, you can't set the VIC to 40 columns wide. You are limited to 32 or so. The VIC chip is limited to producing video that conforms to television standards so it's timing is strictly set (NTSC or PAL depending on chip). The CRTC chip also has limitation, but is fully programmable, however it is not limited to TV standards. It depends on the clock frequency you feed it. That is why the same chip can do 40 columns or 80 columns depending on the PET model.

Perhaps you might want to look at my little project: http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/projec ... index.html

Steve

PS: I'm not putting down the VIC. It's a great little machine!