1541 tip

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Boray
Musical Smurf

1541 tip

Post by Boray »

If you are using a 1541 or 1541-II diskdrive with your Vic20, you can use the following command:

OPEN 15,8,15,"UI-":CLOSE15

It will make the drive go about 20% faster (=turn it into a 1540 drive). The 1541 drive is slower because the C64 is slower. You have to use the command after every reset if you want to drive at Vic20 speed.

/Anders
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

cool!

i think i will assign a function key to do this, via prog. aid

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to issue the command to use the drive with the VIC - it is quite common to see this misunderstanding even among seasoned Commodore users and serious information resources.

I measured once, and got about 15% speed increase compared to the 25% the manual claims, but the larger the file, the more the difference will be. In particular if the files are stored on the disk in some clever order (i.e. from track 1 to 35 rather than the default Commodore DOS working from the inside, track 18, and out in both directions), you should get some really good results.

Hmm.. is there any real disk turbo for the VIC-20? I should know, but I keep forgetting. There is a track loader used in the demos, but I don't know if it has some speedup or if the VIA circuits can be programmed for this.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

carlsson wrote:Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to issue the command to use the drive with the VIC - it is quite common to see this misunderstanding even among seasoned Commodore users and serious information resources.
I've never seen that....