CONTEST deadline

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

CONTEST deadline

Post by Jeff-20 »

About the 20 line game contest:

we have the rules and they are simple:
BASIC program 20 lines or less, with no ML routines, some form of a playable game, utilizing no accessory outside the unexpanded vic and a joystick.

I was wondering if everyone had enough time to play around with the idea, because I'd like to set a due date. Any suggestions on how much more time we should give?

I would like to start a new topic area for type-in programs to make the code available for inspection, and put all of the working programs on a sound file for download to a real vic via tape players and a TAP file for those using emulators.

I hope all reply. Please let me know if you are participating, of your progress, and suggested deadlines.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

... AND as files!!! For us who have a diskdrive + cable. For the Amiga, the cable is extremely easy to make: http://sta.c64.org/easy1541c.html And the 1541 mounts as a normal drive on the Amiga... Very nice...

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Although I prefer Frank Paries' IEC program. Uses almost the same cable (add two diodes), but has all the commands you need packed into one single executable file. It does not mount as a device though.

If the listings are going to be posted, we have to decide how to represent graphic and special characters:

{CLS}
[6 UP]
(C=-A)
<Shift-L>

I prefer the curly brackets, since they don't appear in the charset and can not be confused with normal characters. I also like the {5 SPC}{10 UP} concatenation of control sequences. As long as every entry also is available as files of some kind, there is no need to have a listing format recognized by tokenizers, but it might be wise to look into which combinations they can decode for future references.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I'm in!!! I now have a 20 line game to contribute with... So any date is fine with me. ;)

I also think the {} are best for the special signs...

Should I upload the game or send it to anyone or what should I do? Maybe just upload it to my homepage and put a link and a program listing here?

Will there be a voting of the best game? (Sorry I haven't read that 3 page thread about this, but I will...)

/Anders
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I will start a PROGRAMS topic section. Each program will listed in a seperate message there with a thread for comments. I think I will start a seperated thread for voting as a poll.

As far as typing, I've always used COMPUTE magazine's method of listing: {5 up} {cmd E} {CLR}

I guess I should set a deadline, and we should discuss methods of voting. I say we can just individually rank them (excluding our own entry/entries).
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

carlsson wrote:If the listings are going to be posted, we have to decide how to represent graphic and special characters:
Why not use a screenshot (or two) of the program within VICE? I've used that method before. It's not as easy to type in, so a copy of the .prg would be needed too.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

well, you guys know how I feel about emulators... I want to encourage everyone to type. It's only 20 lines each. Remember the good old days when you enjoyed a program after typing it in partly because you felt responsible for creating it? The work is part of the fun for me. :wink:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Jeff-20 wrote: Remember the good old days when you enjoyed a program after typing it in partly because you felt responsible for creating it?
No. Has never happened to me and I don't think it ever will. Typing in programs that are available as files is just a BIG waste of time.

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Btw, I plan to do this to get a program listing of my program:

open1,8,1,"ascii"
cmd1
list
close1

Then to load the file into a text editor on the amiga to add the {special signs}

...so you WILL be able to type my program in if you really like to! ;)

/Anders
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

You're right.

I already started working on a second game. I say June 1st should be the deadline. I am still trying to figure out my XE1541 cable to get the file to the computer! I've always had trouble making the two machines talk.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Anders, don't forget to PRINT#1 before closing the file. Actually, I think using a detokenizer is a much better thing than printing to file, as you otherwise will have to fix all graphics and special characters by hand.

There might even be native detokenizers for the VIC or 64, but I can't remember any names right now.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Anders, Why is PRINT#1 needed? Is it for canceling the CMD command?

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I have a suggestion for a rule:

It should be possible to type in every line without using any command abbrevations/shortcuts. In other words: When listing the progam, no line can be longer than 4 rows on the screen.

Okay?

/Anders
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

agreed.

I suppose we should list out the rules and mass email em with the deadline date. There are a few ghosts on this board who may not know about it.

Is June 1st a good deadline date?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I thought it would be sooner, but I guess 1 June is okay... Then maybe more people will have time to enter...

I think just knowing the deadline maybe will make people take up the challenge...

Btw, yesterday I made a "petasc to ascii" converting program on the vic. So now after making a LIST to the disc, the program replaces all special signs with {S-R} {C=-J} {GRN} {UP} etc... Anyone interested in having it?

/Anders