how can i share my old vic20 original programs?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
dansheehan
Vic 20 Newbie

how can i share my old vic20 original programs?

Post by dansheehan »

Hi, I am brand new to this forum. Back when I was 13 or so, I made lots of games in BASIC for the VIC-20 which I think should still load up on floppy or tape. I am wondering how in the modern age I can share these with people like you for free. I assume you guys have a way of doing this. I've got things ranging from "Learn the state capitals" to Pac-Man ripoffs. Is there a way to post the code on this site, or a way to transfer the files into a Mac or PC for emulators? Any help in this matter is appreciated!
ViperSan
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by ViperSan »

Hi dansheehan ..
Check out the 'sticky' at the top of this forum ..relating to file transfer.
Its relatively easy to tansfer tape data into your pc ...using the audio (line or mic) in on a sound card.. connected to any tape player (I've used a walkman)
The data is effectively captured as a wav file ....
..but in this case .Tap file.
These can be used with an emulator such as Vice ...and of course once the program is loaded ...can then be archived to an empty .d64 (disk image/container)
The hardest part is getting the audio levels from you tape player right.
Only trial and error can fix this one. :wink:

To transfer 1540/1541 disc data into your pc ...requires a special lead ..(there are a few variations).
This lead allows the commodore drive to be directly connected to the LPT /Parallel port on your pc ...and with the correct software you can make .d64 disc images of any floppies you might have.
rgds
VS
:D
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

The best way is to buy or make one of those 1541-cables to connect your discdrive to your PC. Then you can transfer either single files or whole disks to and from the Commodore diskdrive. Most of us can do the same thing and save your programs to a disk to use on a real vic-20. Personally, I prefer single files (.prg) over whole disks (.d64). Once you get one of those cables, you can download thousands of vic-20 programns from the internet and use on your real vic-20. For example, take a look here: ftp://ftp.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/vic20/ (almost all carts are available under "roms").

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
dansheehan
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by dansheehan »

Thanks. Perhaps I should have mentioned I am a MAC user. Also I'm not too great at making cables. Does anyone know if I can BUY a cable to hook a 1541 to a Mac with only USB and Firewire ports?

Another idea is that if anyone who has more immediate means is enthusiastic enough about profliferating user created software for the VIC, I could mail them my old floppies and/or tapes and they could offer them to the public domain.

I also have stuff for the C64.
dansheehan
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by dansheehan »

on the other hand, if all my stuff is on tape maybe I can just import it as .wav and see if someone can transfer the files to the right format. BUT, I had a think called the Rabbit, which made my tape drive high speed, so I think I'd have problems with that
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Or send them to someone who can...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Mac means bad news in this matter, I'm afraid. You may be able to install a parallel port card or USB adapter, but there would be little or no software. I'm not sure if there exists any other transfer solution, unless you want to go the WAV way. Maybe you can pick up a small 2nd hand PC - doesn't need to be better than 486 if you want - and use it for transfer matters.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Thanks. Perhaps I should have mentioned I am a MAC user. Also I'm not too great at making cables. Does anyone know if I can BUY a cable to hook a 1541 to a Mac with only USB and Firewire ports?

Another idea is that if anyone who has more immediate means is enthusiastic enough about profliferating user created software for the VIC, I could mail them my old floppies and/or tapes and they could offer them to the public domain.
if you have access to a C64, a telecom program, and a modem, you could swap your data to your mac that way.

this is more or less how i get vic programs to/from my pc.

chris
Mobsie
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Mobsie »

Hi,

i am MAC user too, and with USB/par. adapter and the VPC with DOS it works.

Cheers
Mobsie
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ah, cool. Never thought about Virtual PC or other emulators. I haven't looked into how cbm4linux is operating, and if it would be possible to port to MacOS X and/or any Linux dist for Macintosh. Someone may have done it already, or it involves some programming work.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image