Centipede (Vic+16k)
Dig Dug (Vic+16k)
Donkey Kong (Vic+16k)
Frogger (Vic+8K)
Pacman (Vic+8K)
Polaris (Vic+8K)
Raid on Fort Knox (Vic+8K)

Grab them here.
tlr wrote:I didn't know you did so many, impressive! :)
And done the other way round, relocating Programmers' Aid to $B000 in BLK5, so it can be used together with Super Expander, leaving BLK3 free for RAM. :)

From the source I could easily assemble a version of PA, which goes to $3000 in BLK1, if one wants to use it with a standard 8K expander.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Mike wrote:
Mike wrote:[...] this is a method highly *not* recommended.
Boray wrote:I always did that with cartridge files copied on tape [...] and there was never any problems with the games.
You just were very lucky. Please try your method with the *.prg cartridge image of Super Expander. The VIC hangs after displaying the READY prompt.
Maybe it's different with block 5?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Boray wrote:Maybe it's different with block 5?
A relative load (with secondary address =0, or missing) ignores the load address of the file - unless on tape a "type 3" file is encountered, which forces an absolute load.

I loaded SE to $A000, made a copy in the VICE monitor to $6000, saved it from there to a *.tap file, and tried to reload it again with your method to $A000. Same result, crash.

This small program prefixes the $A000 start address to a *.a0 file, and can easily be altered for *.60, etc:

Code: Select all

1 OPEN2,8,2,"name.a0,P,R":OPEN3,8,3,"name.prg,P,W"
2 PRINT#3,CHR$(0)CHR$(160);:N$=CHR$(0)
3 GET#2,A$:R=ST:PRINT#3,LEFT$(A$+N$,1);:IFR=0THEN3
4 CLOSE2:CLOSE3
Snarko
Vic 20 Drifter

Re:

Post by Snarko »

nbla000 wrote:
tlr wrote:I've done this with Omega-Race, see this thread.
And by following your example I've done the same for:
Centipede (Vic+16k)
Dig Dug (Vic+16k)
Donkey Kong (Vic+16k)
Frogger (Vic+8K)
Pacman (Vic+8K)
Polaris (Vic+8K)

Grab them here.
The link is dead; does someone still has these files? I have an ongoing project and these images would really help! :)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Can a0 files be run on a real Vic-20?

Post by eslapion »

Snarko wrote:
nbla000 wrote:
tlr wrote:I've done this with Omega-Race, see this thread.
And by following your example I've done the same for:
Centipede (Vic+16k)
Dig Dug (Vic+16k)
Donkey Kong (Vic+16k)
Frogger (Vic+8K)
Pacman (Vic+8K)
Polaris (Vic+8K)

Grab them here.
The link is dead; does someone still has these files? I have an ongoing project and these images would really help! :)
These images were simply relocated to run in BLK1-2 which, IMHO has little use unless you're too clumsy or poor to get RAM in the proper memory sections.

The original images are available on Zimmers, here:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... index.html
Be normal.
Snarko
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: Can a0 files be run on a real Vic-20?

Post by Snarko »

The Omega-Race-image was exactly what I was looking for; it automatically booted up the game in the emulator I was using without having to configure anything. The emulator is for XBOX not PC, i.e. I cannot use a PC-specific tool/emulator that boots the game automatically. Maybe some of the vic20 cartridge games exists in other formats that can do the same (tap, d64?), but I haven't found several games in those formats, i.e. Omega Race could be added to my small project.

I looked at the files at Zimmers, but could not find these kind of "autostart-game-files" (beginner-alert, I know!) for Donkey Kong Atari, Gorf, Jupiter Lander, Raid on Fort Knox etc., that's why I asked.

So I'm still humbly asking if someone can point me in the right direction to find these files; it'd be greatly appriciated!
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Snarko wrote:I looked at the files at Zimmers, but could not find these kind of "autostart-game-files" (beginner-alert, I know!) for Donkey Kong Atari, Gorf, Jupiter Lander, Raid on Fort Knox etc., that's why I asked.
Bink-bink-bink - they are ALL autostart!

They're just 2 bytes too long. Can't you use WinHEX and just cut the first 2 bytes which are incidentally A0 00 ...

If the Omega Race image you refer to is this: http://www.kahlin.net/~tlr/vic20/omega-race_8k.prg

Then moving it it to BLK1 has effectively turn OFF the autostart capability. A real VIC-20 will autostart cartridge code located at $A000 only.
Be normal.
Snarko
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Snarko »

Still can't get it to work (tested to remove 00 and A0 bytes on "Jelly Monsters" and "Donkey Kong-a000). But perhaps we are talking about different things? As you can tell, I'm in the process of finding information and learning. :)

The games that work for me look like this in PRGInfo (this is the omega race 8k ram version by user "tlr"):
omega-race_8k.prg
StartAddress: $1201 = 4609
EndAddress : $32C8 = 13000
Len : $20C8 = 8392
Computer type:
--------------
Vic20 with 8K expansion (block 1)
Usage:
------
LOAD "omega-race_8k.prg",8
RUN

...and the ones that doesn't start by themselves look like this (omega race original cart version):
Omega Race-orig.prg
StartAddress: $A000 = 40960
EndAddress : $BFFF = 49151
Len : $2000 = 8192
Computer type:
--------------
Vic20 8K plugin for block 5
Autostart on reset
Usage:
------
LOAD "Omega Race-orig.prg",8,1
SYS 64802
(or reset)

So the former works fine for me, i.e. the emulator starts the game automatically when I select it, while the latter is NOT automatically started.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

@Snarko
If you use a LOAD command to load a file then you must NOT remove the first 2 bytes and the files on Zimmers are to be used AS IS. Do you even make sure your emulator provide RAM in the BLK5 area?

Also, the modified Omega Race you are using required an incredible amount of work to be altered to run as a normal BASIC program. Demanding the entire collection be modified to run this way instead of a normal autostart cart is beyond reason. The problem seems to be that you have a crappy emulator.

The files on Zimmers can be attached by VICE and many other decently designed emulators.

BTW, most actual carts have code in them to make sure they are not copied and try to self modify so its the responsibility of your emulator to attach a cart at the right memory area and then turn the region to read-only. The file you use "Omega Race-orig.prg" is protected that way. Using a LOAD command instead of using your emulator to directly attach a cartridge PRG dump will most definitely not set a memory area to read-only.

This version of Omega Race has been patched to run even in RAM: http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... 20Race.prg
Be normal.
Snarko
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Snarko »

The emulator I'm using for xbox is 'Vice20x v6' and yes, I it can provide RAM in the BLK5 area (block 0, 1, 2, 3 and 5, like in WinVice). It can also run cartridges, but not start them 100% automatically; after selecting the game, it is necessary to enter the menu again, then select an option called something like "Start game with SYS64802" (which resets the computer, right?).

What I want is a one-click-solution for the games, using the xbox's controller. And the heavily modified version of Omega Race provided just that (superb job with that, by the way!). The Vic20 was my very first computer and I have managed to get many of my old favorites to run, but there are still a bunch of cartridge games like Jelly Monsters, Gorf, Donkey Kong that I have tried to add to my one-click-game-pack, but unfortunately no luck so far. :cry:

Anyway, thanks for your help eslapion!
Ammiraglio72
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Ammiraglio72 »

I need this relocated carts , no anyone download these carts BEFORE link dead?
can you post for download?
How many cart have ben relocated?
THX.
(relocated need to play on a simple vic20 with 16k)
i cannot want to buy special hardware or exp with block 5.
Aturnwald
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Aturnwald »

Sorry for interrupt, I've got all available Commodore - Atari - HES cartridges on Zip and on 5 1/4 Zoll Disk, with a easy loader, so I use that on a real VIC, with 16 / 32 K, the memory-dumping ( for e.g. BLK/5 or BLK/3 or BLK/1) would be done by the small loader. If you like these 5 disks, give an answer and I send it to you.

cheerio Toni

PS: By the way, on a real VIC, it is possible to load a game form Disk into the "machine Monitor" and then you are able to reprogram the cartridge. After that save it again on Disk and run it, that's all.
I hope that was helpful.
.....42, what else ???
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

If your version of VICE has the ability to attach a megacart image I would strongly suggest you follow that route as it allows you to easily run ANY cartridge game from a friendly menu.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Look here. There are plenty of carts in the .d64 files with a handy loader
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

mrr19121970 wrote:Look here. There are plenty of carts in the .d64 files with a handy loader
Yeah but they have the same "problem"; they require RAM in the proper memory area.

However, these may have been cracked since they are designed to be "loaded" instead of "attached".

They will probably not self modify.
Be normal.