RUN STOP / RESTORE problem

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

RUN STOP / RESTORE problem

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have had this problem for the past ten years on various VIC 20s. Every time I exit a running program with the RUN STOP/ RESTORE key combo I run a 70% chance of the computer crashing! :?

I am not exaggerating. I always save to disk before running for this reason. A good 70% of the interruptions of a running program result in a ready screen; however, the system is unresponsive.

Actually, most of the time, I'll type something and get a ?SYNTAX ERROR and the cursor will be displaced just to the left of center at the bottom of the screen. Then the computer is completely unresponsive. I must reboot, reload my program and continue from there. :evil:

Has anyone else had this problem? I have had it on several VICs. What could be the cause and/or solution? :?:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

that's just screwy
replace the fuce
sorry
i;m drunk
and that's no help
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

This is a known problem with Vics and is caused by poor contact on the RESTORE key causing so many NMI interrupts that the stack overflows.

The obvious solution is to replace the key with one that has better contacts, or at least cleaning and lubricating (with contact lube) the one you have.

Another possible solution is to connect a small (470pF or so) capacitor across the switch to 'filter' the contact bounce.

Lee.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

so if I press it hard and fast will I be less likely to have this problem?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

It depends on how trashed the switch is but mostly yes.

Trouble is doing that will eventually break it.

Lee.