CBM FileBrowser for uIEC SD2IEC MMC2IEC

Discuss anything related to the VIC
nbla000
Salmon Run

CBM FileBrowser for uIEC SD2IEC MMC2IEC

Post by nbla000 »

Hi,

Finally after a lot of work, I'm the pleasure to annunce that I've just released the first version of my new project:

CBM FileBrowser (http://www.vic20.it/cbmfilebrowser)

It is a browser for all sd2iec firmware based drives (uIEC, SD2IEC, MMC2IEC) and works for the C64, C64DTV, Vic-20 (unexpanded, +3K RAM, +8K RAM or plus)

There is also a specific version for Vic-20 with Mega-Cart, for FE3 uses the +8K RAM version.

The project derives from the last 0.6 version of sd2brwse by nojoopa (now discontinued) and add new features and support new systems.

In the future I may add support for C16/Plus4 and C128 but there is not any timeline :wink:

Take a look to the web page for further info and report me any feedback, thanks.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
amramsey
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by amramsey »

Very cool!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Thanks for feedback :wink:

I'm using it with Mega-Cart +SJLOAD patch and it's very handy.

PS: At the moment the SJLOAD patch is in NTSC beta testing, I will release it asap on mega-cart site.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

WOW!!!! :shock: Thanks a lot for this. New blood for my passion...
I will test it ASAP. Too bad I don't have time in these very days, I'm very busy at work and furthermore I'm working on the next software release together with Mike :wink: .

But of course, I will fire it up with FE3 in the next few days.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

This is great news! I can't set up my real Vic 'til tomorrow but I'm looking forward to playing with this and BerzerkMMX. It's going to be a fun weekend for me that's for sure!

Just one question. To make this the first file on my SD card do I have to remove everything from the card, put this on the card and then put all my files back on again? Or is there an easier way?? BTW: I'll be using this with my uIEC and Mega-Cart (I haven't got the courage to touch my FE3 yet!). :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Just one question. To make this the first file on my SD card do I have to remove everything from the card, put this on the card and then put all my files back on again? Or is there an easier way??
Copy files and folder of your SD Card in a temp folder, example your desktop, format the SD card (quick format is enough) then first copy the filebrowser program, then replace other files.
BTW: I'll be using this with my uIEC and Mega-Cart
Successfully tested with uIEC and SD2IEC with FE3, Mega-Cart, Vic unexpanded, +3K ,+8K.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Thanks for the confirmation. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I have just tried it on a VIC with the Final Expansion 3, and I'd say it absolutley GREAT!

Exactly what I was looking for: a simple browser for all those wonderful games, and a fast way to see how my past and current projects look like in the screen output of a real VIC (side note: Mike, the graphics of our new work look superb in a real VIC ! :wink: ).

Many thanks Nicola. :D
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

orion70 wrote: (side note: Mike, the graphics of our new work look superb in a real VIC ! :wink: ).
You tease!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:wink:
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

orion70 wrote:I'd say it absolutley GREAT!
Thanks orion, unfortunatelly I've a big problem with my FE3 :cry:
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

After a while I've finally updated CBM-FileBrowser to support new file images D41 and DNP, introduced with sd2iec firmware v.0.9.0, the current firmware version is v.0.9.2 just updated a few days ago.

CBM FileBrowser v.1.1, download here

I've added the C64SD as new tested drive since I got a positive feedback from the author of this new SD based drive, basically it is a modified SD2IEC drive so it use the same firmware, it seems very handy because it does not require any cable, just plug it and nothing else, it use the tape port for the power and has a male connector for the serial port, it fits on C64 and Vic20 machines but since it has an additional power jack it could be used like other SD-Based drives to any other CBM machine.
StarshipUK
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by StarshipUK »

It is a shame this does not work with the C116/C16/Plus 4 :(

Does anyone know of something similar that will?
telengard
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by telengard »

Love this program, use it religiously. One thing I've noticed is that it seems to sort files based on timestamp, is there any way to get it to sort alphabetically?
nama
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by nama »

telengard wrote:Love this program, use it religiously. One thing I've noticed is that it seems to sort files based on timestamp, is there any way to get it to sort alphabetically?
I love this program too, but I have exactly the same issue with the way it sorts and displays the listing of files.

Phil