VIC-20 Disk Utilities

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Gabriel Angelos
Vic 20 Drifter

VIC-20 Disk Utilities

Post by Gabriel Angelos »

Are there any good disk utilities for copying single files between disks or duplicating disks with either one or two drives? Most everything I have or have found is for the C64 or C128.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

JiffyDOS for the VIC-20.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

RobertBe wrote:JiffyDOS for the VIC-20.
I didn't realize that was a disk utility. Say, where can it be purchased?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Gabriel, to my knowledge there are very few or close to none. Part probably due to disk drives were uncommon to use with the VIC-20 and part due to in modern times almost everyone have access to tools on other machines to do all the dirty work. Copying programs also require a fair bit of memory. I suppose any halfway decent copying program on the VIC-20 would need at least 16K expansion.

On the other hand with the advent of FE3 and others which have up to 512K of bank switched RAM, I suppose it would make sense to develop such disk utilities. At least something that transfers a D64 image to a real floppy disk and back again. This is a task that not even a C64 can do properly from what I've read on the uIEC mailing list?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

gklinger wrote:
RobertBe wrote:JiffyDOS for the VIC-20.
I didn't realize that was a disk utility. Say, where can it be purchased?
JiffyDOS actually has a good set of file copy commands, but of course it's not easy not get hold of a VIC 20 JD chip.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

carlsson wrote:Gabriel, to my knowledge there are very few or close to none.
I would like to program one, but not particulary for the VIC-20. Soon after having a working version of 1541IDE, I found out that all copy programs except one couldn't cooperate with it :( The reason was that they all tried to address the floppy drive directly. The one that works fine Commodores own copy utility found on various floppy demo disks. The only disadvantage of this program: its user interface.

Before inventing the wheel twice: who can give me some information how to do it ie. what Kernal/1541 routines to use? Any info is welcome!

Many thanks!

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

ruud wrote:Before inventing the wheel twice: who can give me some information how to do it ie. what Kernal/1541 routines to use? Any info is welcome!
If you only use either Kernel Routines (OPEN, CHKIN, CHKOUT,BASIN,BSOUT,CLOSE) or Kernel IEC Routines (LISTEN, TALK, IECOUT, IECIN, UNTALK, UNLISTEN) you can be sure it works on all Drives and all Commodore Computer (C64, C128, VIC, CBM-8032, CBM-II ...).

But it is slow ...

So better is to upload code to the drive and do all yourself. But it will only work on Computers you support and on drives you support!

I'm using OpenCBM procedures for my XS-1541 and for all drives. OpenCBM supports all drives and it is very fast. And, - it is open source!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

carlsson wrote:At least something that transfers a D64 image to a real floppy disk and back again. This is a task that not even a C64 can do properly from what I've read on the uIEC mailing list?
When I want to create real diskettes from D64 images, I use MMC64 on a C64 (of course :mrgreen: ) with the appropriate plugin, which should be "D64 Writer" IIRC.
I never had any problem, either with C64 or VIC images. Didn't try with copy-protected or turbo load disks though...
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

orion70 wrote:When I want to create real diskettes from D64 images, I use MMC64 on a C64 (of course :mrgreen: ) with the appropriate plugin, which should be "D64 Writer" IIRC.
Yes is a good solution if you have a C64 (I use it too) but something at least for FE3 and/or Mega-Cart is much more appreciate for the Vic community.

Diddl, do you want/may you try, to port OpenCBM procedures for the Vic ?
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Earlier this week I had an urgent need for a decent file copier running on the VIC-20. Unfortunately I drew a total blank, despite looking at Zimmers and the 1541 Test/Demo disk for ideas. I was quite tempted to start programming a copying program right there, but I found another solution so I could avoid using my VIC-20 for the task. :?
Anders Carlsson

Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

nbla000 wrote:Diddl, do you want/may you try, to port OpenCBM procedures for the Vic ?
To do what? To make a copy of a 1541 disk to D64 image?

I have done this job already for the Atmel-644 (same as inside the FE3). The hardware is known as XS-1541.

So it would be not so difficult to do the job. But it makes no sense for me to do a backup on a VIC. And I fear most of the people wouldn't use a VIC for this but prefer a PC solution (X cable, XU-, XUM- or XS-1541).

I'm thinking about a universal solution on this XUM-1541 hardware. With IEEE-488 and 1571/1581 burst mode and a SD slot on it.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Bacon wrote:JiffyDOS actually has a good set of file copy commands...
Yes, very true.
...but of course it's not easy not get hold of a VIC 20 JD chip.
:) Then I am fortunate to have it.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Diddl wrote:To make a copy of a 1541 disk to D64 image?
It may be handy for VIC users who don't have an X-cable, but most importantly would be the option to restore a D64 image onto a real floppy. As for examples of programs that won't run from the D64 emulation in a sd2iec device, just take most multi-loading demos.
Anders Carlsson

Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

carlsson wrote:
Diddl wrote:To make a copy of a 1541 disk to D64 image?
It may be handy for VIC users who don't have an X-cable, but most importantly would be the option to restore a D64 image onto a real floppy. As for examples of programs that won't run from the D64 emulation in a sd2iec device, just take most multi-loading demos.
I have released a small program here a short time ago, which does create a D64 image from a 1541 disk on a SD2IEC/µIEC.

I cannot find it, but it is simple BASIC with a few lines assembler code. You can modify it easily to write back a D64 to a disk, it is very simple.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Bacon wrote:... but of course it's not easy not get hold of a VIC 20 JD chip.
Says who?

:roll:

How many do you want?
Be normal.