VIC-20 Makes History on February 20, 2010

Discuss anything related to the VIC
amramsey
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by amramsey »

sydbolton wrote:Again, try talking to me about it if that's how you feel instead of airing something like this in public space. It really burns my ass to hear comments like this with all the work that myself and my team have put into making preserving history, educating, and in general trying to make a difference in our community. I imagine if one of the people who has had their lives changed by receiving a free computer from us ever saw this, they would shake their head in disgust.
It doesn't take having received a free computer from you to be shaking my head in disgust. Dragos is a bit of a troll on these forums so I wouldn't take him too seriously or use his opinion as a barometer of the group here.

I think what you are doing with the museum is fantastic. I hadn't heard of it until this Vic-20 twitter event and the media coverage that you drummed up because of the twitter thing can only be good for the retro community and the museum. Regardless of whether or not an entire twitter client and network stack was running on the Vic itself.

Aaron
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Sounds, looks, and (virtually) smells legit to me... so there's one thing to air an opinion, and quite a different thing to boast a baseless claim solely on hearsay. I wouldn't let "that" ruffle my feathers, sydbolton, considering the personal capital investments made in time and money as you posted.

Persons visiting this thread just have to keep in mind what and how that boast was stated, before accepting any of its context for which it was designed to accomplish... and I suspect the author's mission was accomplished.

And not for nothing, dragos, but your twitter client guess isn't newsworthy... the objective was attained, regardless that it was labelled and promoted as a "record". Now, if you were personally "taken" by any of this, I would LOVE to hear about your misfortunes ... :P
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

Troll = Skeptical.

There are a great many registered "charities" that are not "legit" Religion comes to mind....

You know the feeling you get when you talk to a sales guy, and theres just something not quite right about his pitch? Thats how I felt talking to Sid, see, I didn't just make up suspicion for the sake of argument. I actually talked to him at WoC. Then I solicited opinions of a few trusted sources familiar with the operation. It *could* be exactly as he describes. The skeptic in me doesn't allow accepting it on face value.

Anyway you look at it, one time you are saying you accept no money and the very next post you say you accept money from schools. now, where I am from, thats called backtracking. Also, it would seem reverse logic to be free to the general public but not free to schools (whose assigned purpose is education)
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
sydbolton
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by sydbolton »

Anyway you look at it, one time you are saying you accept no money and the very next post you say you accept money from schools. now, where I am from, thats called backtracking. Also, it would seem reverse logic to be free to the general public but not free to schools (whose assigned purpose is education)
No, I'd call that stupid on your part. I never said that. What I said was that I personally don't take any money off this project, I indicated that it COST me money. Of course we accept donations of cash and charge for venue uses etc. but all the funds go to the museum - not me personally. I have never taken an honorarium or anything of the sort for the THOUSANDS of hours of volunteering that has been done. If those weren't my exact words I apologize but that is what I meant by it. You started this whole thing by inferring that this somehow benefited me personally and I am simply tell you that you are DEAD wrong.

Also, the general public is asked to donate when they come. The concept of asking for a donation from students IN STANDARD in our industry. I suppose you don't know this because you don't have the experience that we do. That's fine, now you are informed.

I'm done defending and talking about this. I think everyone else can see that your comments are unwarranted, unnecessary and all that. I actually feel sorry for you because you can't accept that a group of people are doing something to benefit the community (both the "vintage computing" community and our local community) without some sort of personal agenda. I'd hate to live in a world which such skepticism.

I will continue to do the work we do, continue to bring smiles and memories to those that visit and benefit all that we do.

I'd also encourage you to come here and visit. I'd LOVE to show you what we do. I'd be willing to bet the "person" you spoke to at WOC has never even been here in person and just sees what they want to see from the outside.
Visit the Personal Computer Museum online (http://www.pcmuseum.ca) or in PERSON for all your vintage computing needs.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

sydbolton wrote:We are open every Monday evening for recycling drop offs and open one Saturday per month where we have all the machines on.

We also spend one Saturday a month (usually) giving away computers that our volunteers spend time refurbishing. This is in addition to our regular open house (as the location for the giveaway is separate)

We open for school tours whenever requested. We have two former educators (one principal and one a retired physics teacher) that lead those.

We are volunteer run so it's not really fair to ask to be open fully for the day more than once a month since everyone is donating their time. Plus, if we were open more than that I am not sure we'd have the traffic.
Hey, Syd, you museum schedule is somewhat like the schedule of the Computer History Museum here in California. And like your museum, CHM uses lots of volunteers and relies on local support.

Can you or Leif "Schema" (who was there for the event) tell us more about the facilities? Do you have something like the Visible Storage of the CHM?

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

dragos wrote: You know the feeling you get when you talk to a sales guy, and theres just something not quite right about his pitch?
He's not trying to sell anything, you stupid jackass. I knew you were hard up for cash, but bitching about a $2.00 donation really is pathetic. :roll: I'll pay $2 for you to shut your pie hole, how does that sound? :lol:
amramsey
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by amramsey »

Yikes. This thread is definitely looking for a clean-up and a lock. :shock:
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

I accept paypal. purchase is most definitely as-is.

BTW, I do not recall saying he was trying to sell me anything.

If I said talking to you was like clapping with one hand, it certainly does not mean I think you need to applaud.....

You are soooo hot to try to jump on me for *ANYTHING* you have been really reaching lately.

Hard up for money must equal I want another new firearm, so therefore I am selling some "used junk"

I know, I know, your cute little society up there doesn't give you the ability to have firearms, but rather than bring that up, you make it out like I am hard up for cash.
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

dragos wrote: I know, I know, your cute little society up there doesn't give you the ability to have firearms, but rather than bring that up, you make it out like I am hard up for cash.
Actually, firearms are a lot more available in Canada than they are in the US. They also have a much lower homicide rate.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

dragos wrote:I know, I know, your cute little society up there doesn't give you the ability to have firearms, but rather than bring that up, you make it out like I am hard up for cash.
You prove that you're really are as dumb as you look with comments like that. I'd invite you to test your theory out, but frankly I don't think you'd be worth the lead.