How Do I Save a Program Onto My uIEC?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

How Do I Save a Program Onto My uIEC?

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

As the title asks. I've typed in, for me, a rather lengthy program into my Vic. Normally I just save onto tape but I thought I should start taking advantage of my uIEC. The problem is that I don't know how to! Can someone help me?! Cheers. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

save"my program",10

same as a disk drive.

Default is drive 10 unless you changed it with a complex command I don't know here.

If you want it onto a .D64 disk for later transfer to Vice or real 1541 then you need to create a disk image first on PC or move the .prg file into a .D64 afterwards.

I use dirmaster from http://style64.org

You can open a new .D64 import prg files from your pc or SD card and save the .D64 then copy it back to SD and use on the Vic20 with uIEC.

Alternatively use Vice, mount a new .D64 then copy that to SD.

to go to the .D64 (like change directory) make sure the write protect of the SD is not set.

open 1,10,15,"cd;mydisk.d64";close 1
save"my program",10

load"$",10 and list to catalog the disk.

Give me a call if you need more help.

Ian
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

That's perfect! Thanks. I wasn't sure if just doing the SAVE command would work and I didn't want to try it after having typed in my program. That's also good to know about Dirmaster. I actually have it downloaded but have never really had a use for it - until now! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I believe if you have an existing D64 on the card, you can create a new one as follows:

OPEN 1,10,15,"C:NEWFILE.D64=OLDFILE.D64"

(this appears to take quite some time and the LED can remain lit afterwards - not sure why)

PRINT#1,"CD:NEWFILE.D64"
PRINT#1,"N:DISK NAME,ID"

The latter command formats a floppy disk just like usual.

I had some hope that the MD command should be able to create empty D64's just like it can create new FAT directories, but apparently not.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Such a command is in the plans... :-)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Vic20-Ian wrote:Default is drive 10 unless you changed it with a complex command I don't know here.
I was going to change my drive number, but 10 is perfect. I can use cursor commands to pick a program from the menu, and there's just enough room to type LOAD and the 3 character ",10" covers the "PRG" label. :D you guys know what i'm talking about.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.