In what year did you get your first VIC-20?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

In what year did you get your first VIC-20?

Post by Ghislain »

Subject line says it all. You can just say a year, but a few anecdotes would also be nice :)

I got my first VIC-20 in 1982, I think it was in September. I got it as part of a Pepsi bottle cap contest -- where you'd collect the rubber piece underneath the bottle cap. You needed to spell VIC20.

The letters V, I, 2 and 0 were the easiest to get. The "C" (shaped like the Commodore logo) was the hardest one to find. My grandmother owned a convenience store at the time, and my dad asked her to keep the bottle caps that were collected in the bottle opener tray.

Lo and behold, after going through thousands of bottle caps I found the "C" ! What a thrill it was to win my very first computer. A few days later, after coming home from school, my Dad had picked up a VIC-20 along with Jupiter Lander.

After I got bored with playing Jupiter Lander over and over again, I looked inside the owner's manual and found out I could write my own programs. Unfortunately, having no way to store my programs (no tape drive), I found myself writing just very simple games and typing, and retyping KILLER COMET and ROCKET COMMAND over and over again.

The first game I ever bought for was Serpentine ($60! Saved up my birthday and allowance money. I'll hold onto it forever). I had asked for Omega Race for Christmas that year (after playing it in the arcade), but when my Mom asked at the computer store to buy it, the idiot clerk said that it wasn't a very good game for kids and suggested Gorf instead. Yeah, Gorf is fairly good in it's own right. But I did eventually get Omega Race the following year on my birthday.

The other games I would eventually acquire were: Cosmic Cruncher, Cosmic Jailbreak, Sargon II Chess and Cannon Ball Blitz.

My original VIC-20 eventually died, and I would get my first Commodore 64 in 1989. But, in 1990 I would get my second VIC-20 and rediscovered the awesome experience of the original "friendly computer", this time using my C64's disk drive with it.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

2009 :-D

I remember seeing one back in the 80s and not being too impressed (I had a C64 by that point). I only bought one recently because of the new graphics opportunities it offered, and because of developments like MegaCart, TenTen, and Realms of Quest III. I'm happy with it, but C64/128 is still my main love!
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I bought my first VIC in 2009, but my parents had a VIC-20 when I was a child. It packed up when I was eight so I never really got to know it.

I have always had a peculiar fascination with things from the early eighties. It's always felt like an uncharted territory to me; a part of my life I can never know yet constantly seek to know.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'd used one a lot earlier though. When I started secondary school in 1985, one of my early mates still had his Vic, whereas most of us had C64 or Spectrums by that point. So I got to play on it (when the games loaded!) and try to get my head around memory expansions and only having one joystick port.

Cue a lot later. My brother's girlfriend finds her old Vic in the loft in late 2002 and asks if I would like it. For whatever reason I chose yes. And so things have progressed from there with all the collecting and now heading up the guide for Digital Press when Ward retired. I can't recall how or why Jeff invited me over to this place, probably after winning a particular auction. Probably Mount Drash :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

1987. I bought it from my brother who bought it in 1982.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Christmas 1982. My older brother had nagged my parents to get a home computer, and they knew someone who worked for Handic/Datatronic (Commodore's Swedish distributor) so they could buy a VIC 20 at a very low price - the VIC was pretty inexpensive already as computers went, but my parents couldn't afford one at the normal price. None of us expected to find one under the Christmas tree :-)

We sold it the next winter to get a C64. I got my next VIC around 2002.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Christmas Day, 1985.

It was a lovely VIC-20 CR and it cost £40 brand new from a shop called What Every Woman Wants! I know where it came from because my dad showed me an advert in the local paper and asked me if it was any good. I, of course, said it was a really good deal even though I really wanted a C64. I was wise enough to know that any computer was better than none!

For that £40 I got the Starter Pack which included some games made by Commodore on tape and a Datasette. I was also lucky enough to get an Introduction to BASIC which, funnily enough, introduced me to BASIC!

I also got a crappy joystick called a Crack-Shot (an obvious Quickshot I rip off!) which died days later. My dad, always one for false economy, bought a succession of crap sticks until I finally convinced him that the future lay in the form a Quickshot II. That cost £12.99 which was a small fortune for a rather poor family in 1985 but it was soooo worth it! Gridrunner came alive and I could actually play Traxx!

Because it was way at the end of the Vic 20's life you could buy loads of things for it very cheaply as all the shops were getting rid of their old stock. Every penny that I could spend was spent on games and software and I eventually ended up with quite a collection until my dad sold it to a friend so that we could get a 2nd hand C16. I liked the C16 and it had (has) some great games but I never really felt the same love for it...
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Like Saehn, I picked up my first VIC-20 last year. The C64 was my first real computer so I missed out on the VIC-20. The MegaCart really piqued my interest in this wonderful machine so I decided to get one. I've had a blast playing with this wonderful little system. :)

It's great that there's a nice community centered around the VIC-20 and I'm glad I can be a part of it.

Heather
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

My big brother bought his VIC-20 in February 1984. I don't remember how long it took before he sold it to me and upgraded to a C64, but it should've been in late 1985.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

September 83.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

1986 :) My family was kinda poor and the only computers we had were the ones we could beg or borrow. I had to do most of my coding in my head and write it in a book. It came with no datasette and no cartridges, so it was kinda dull. I didn't do much with it as my code was always lost at the end of the day. That is of course until the PSU packed up and it didn't work anymore. Ah what fond memories!
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

Got mine in March of 2009.

I had wanted a Commodore 64 since January of 2008, but on ebay a guaranteed working one seemed to cost a minimum of $50 plus shipping. When I finally started coding for the C64 with VICE in October of '08, I really wanted a 64, but again they were so darn expensive. In early 2009, I stumbled upon the Vic 20, which was substantially cheaper. I was pretty disappointed at first when I read it didn't have features like hardware sprites or scroll registers, but the price made up for it. I finally bought one in late February in a buy it now auction on ebay for about $30 with shipping. It came with a datasette and quite a few books as well as a broken C64.

So the reason I bought a Vic 20 was price... even in 2009 :lol: .
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Wilson, that is funny since a lot of people tend to express how VIC-20's can get expensive on eBay etc. Granted there are much fewer VIC's than there are C64's out there, in particular if you consider the C64C which are many enough for every man and his dog to have one each. I have bought a few loose C64C for ~$7 each plus shipping, but has never been even close to getting another VIC-20 for so little money.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Christmas 1981.
My younger brother's mate Cubso had a ZX81. The moment I played with it I knew I had found my calling - a simple page of typed instructions, and a game appeared - steering a V between scrolling *s.
Mum and dad bought me a VIC that Christmas - colour, and over three times the memory!
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

carlsson, the Mega-Cart seems to have raised the average price of a Vic-20 some, so I don't know what the situation is now. But at the time, I found a tested Vic-20 to be quite a bit cheaper than a tested C64. I too find that peculiar considering there may be as many as 17 times the number of C64s out there as Vic-20s.