Post here everytime you get something new for your Vic

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
Your wish is my command! I'll get onto that asap. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Just bought 3 games:

Hopping Mad (much to Bokvammes chagrine...sorry Bo!)
Birds of Prey
and Vic-Men

Cost me a bloody fortune! It makes me happy though. :)

Just an observation but is there less and less Vic stuff floating about these days? And isn't it getting more expensive??
yes, some people can't help bidding against each other and raising the price to silly money :P

now people are putting games up at higher starting prices ;cry:

We should have more internal swaps of duplicates.....
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Just an observation but is there less and less Vic stuff floating about these days? And isn't it getting more expensive??
Yes, not much to buy and when something turns up, you and mayhem race me to it. :)
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

Vic20-Ian wrote:We should have more internal swaps of duplicates.....
Working on it...
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

If eBay didn't blank out bidder ID then I'd know one of you two is bidding and leave it be. I'm bidding on stuff mostly cos it isn't in GB20...

Speaking of which, I will be having a slim down of my Vic20 tape stuff at some point, so I can let you guys fight it out for anything you want that I happen to let go (no, NOT Mount Drash hah hah!).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps there should be a website where people can post their current feedback score? On the other hand if you know people's aliases you can look it up and compare to the bidders. :-D
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Or maybe we could have a thread here so that people can announce the auctions they're bidding on so as not to bump the prices too much. It seems that the 3 biggest culprits are me, Bo and Mayhem but others seem to do it too! I'm not saying we shouldn't buy what we like but sometimes if it's just a tape to be archived I'd rather someone, say Bo, got it cheap than me inadvertantly bumping the price through the roof. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

We talked about the ethics of bidding against one another a few years ago. Remember?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Why not pool the bid money and games.

All agree to subscribe to a group bid system with a thread here.

New rarity appears, post in thread and PM members

Agree bid and one person bids

Games won could be archived then allocated to members in turn or randomly or placed in a Denial library for internal competition prizes, rewards for great new software development etc.

It would not stop duplicate id bidding but it could keep prices down...maybe
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Vic20-Ian wrote:It would not stop duplicate id bidding but it could keep prices down...maybe
I don't think so. There is no substitute for the thrill of building your own collection.
InfernalKeith
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by InfernalKeith »

Was gonna post a bunch of stuff and take photos, but now a couple of the tapes won't load properly and I'm all cranky about it.

I keep getting "OUT OF DATA" errors, to the point where it's making me wonder if something's wrong with my Vic or my datasette, not the tapes themselves. I'm adding (or not adding) memory expansion as the docs indicate.

I did get Serpentine on cartridge, which is nice, and Menagerie, which is not. :) I got Sidewinder, which I can't get to load, plus another Tronix game I haven't tried yet. A couple other obscure-looking cassette games, which I'll try to load later, if I don't get too annoyed. And a couple of those SAMS book-and-tape combos -- I have a lot of those for the TI 99/4A, but these were the first two I've seen for the Vic.

Again, I feel like a dork even posting about my Vic finds with all you experts around. I've only just begun...
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

"Out of data" usually happens with loading errors so it's probably the alignment of the datasette compared to what the tape wants. Find them frequently when trying to transfer tapes to TAP format and then running the result in emulation.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
InfernalKeith
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by InfernalKeith »

Is there a document online to explain aligning datasettes, or is that something best left to an expert? And does said expert want a box of my datasettes to tinker with? :)

My other TRonix game, Galactic Blitz, loaded with no problem. Also got my "Action Games" pak from Creative Software to load, as well as a math game called (wait for it) Math Duel. Got all those in original packaging. I'll try more (and maybe another datasette) today.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Are you sure you don't get ?OUT OF MEMORY error? I can't recall ever seeing ?OUT OF DATA when a load fails.

To my knowledge there is no alignment program running on the VIC-20. There were some on the C64, but it requires a factory recorded tape that is perfectly aligned. To record this tape yourself would not help much, since in that case you would adjust the Datasette according to whichever tape recorder you used to record it upon.

You can tune the little azimuth screw yourself. On newer C2N's, there is a small drilled hole just below the door. Use very small movements, usually a quarter of a turn makes a difference. A whole turn probably will get it completely out of alignment unless it already is. Try both directions.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

I'd first expect to see a ?LOAD ERROR.

When that is shown, the end of program/start of variables pointer is not set to the correct address, nethertheless there is a (possibly faulty) program in memory, that still can be started with RUN.

However, variables will now overwrite the start of the program in memory, causing all sorts of side effects, including ?OUT OF DATA errors.

Michael