Copy programs from Tape to PC

Discuss anything related to the VIC
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I'm beginning to wonder if Jeff is Matthew Montchalin's long lost brother (if you read comp.sys.cbm you know what I mean). :wink:

If I remember, I can have a look at the WAV file either tonight (Tuesday)or on Thursday unless someone else has found a solution.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Leeeeee wrote:Ok here's a better idea.

Get one of those CD to casette adaptors, it looks like a regular casette but with a stereo jack lead comming out of one corner. Put that in the datacasette and plug that into the sound card input.

That should give you something plugged into either the line in (if you have it) or the mic in.

Cheers,

Lee.
What a cool idea!!! That could work.

Btw, Inside of the old C2N model, there is an extra connection (for a second tape deck it seems). Inside of the new model, there isn't....

Jeff, Set VICE to use regular files on the harddisk instead of a disk image. Then when saving, loading etc, the files will be stored as normal PC files on the harddisk in the directory you choose.

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Boray wrote:Btw, Inside of the old C2N model, there is an extra connection (for a second tape deck it seems). Inside of the new model, there isn't....
I'm not sure it was meant for daisy chaining, but rather internal testing of the unit. The question was brought up by readers of a computer magazine many years ago, but the technical staff on the magazine didn't find a good use of the connector.

Yet another cable solution is to build or buy a C2N cable for connecting the datassette directly to the PC and use mtap tools. I haven't tried this, but for someone who likes tapes more than disks, it seems a technologically excellent solution as you get more or less a digital transfer rather than going through wave files.
Anders Carlsson

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ha! I managed to convert Jeff's file with tape64:

Code: Select all

$ tape64 -i:egg.wav -p -or:egg -r
searching... found(0) egg salad        at  4097- 5245 loading... successful
searching... reached end of tape.

Results of processing:
----------------------
Input: egg.wav  Type: Sample-File
  Triggeramplitude : 10
  Sample-Frequency : 44100
  Sample-Range     : 0 - 255
  Channels         : 1
  Sample-direction : reverse
Speed of tape: 1.0
Output: 
  TAP-File: egg.tap

C2N-Triggers : 87118
Programs loadable: 1
Programs with load error: 0
In this case, -r means the samples are reversed (inverted?). The specs of the WAV file are 44.1 kHz, 8-bit mono but it doesn't say if that is signed or unsigned data (should be unsigned I believe).

That means we should have two entries within 20 lines and my one out of competition on 25.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks!

But now that I have the XE1541 working, I have a PRG file ready.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.